What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abreviations

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
Does anyone know what C.W.P. stands for in reference to ammunition packaging?

Not sure But!

I was told that CWP menat "Complete With Packing" perhaps a little too easy that one ?

Some one will comfirm or deny for definate !

not that i know the answer, but do you have a picture of it , how and where it is written ?
on GB or on US packing ?

It stands for cases, wood packing is a term used to describe a wooden box for ammunition. The term Box Ammunition Wood (BAW) is also used and sometimes the term BAW CWP ias used. I am not sure of the design differences that the descripters differentiate (fancy words for I don't know the differences they describe).

Leo

Excellent, thanks. Its use is in a copy of Regulations for Army Ordnance services (RAOS) where it lists ammunition, packaging, box dimensions, weights etc.

Is it correct to say that there was only one size for a CWP? RAOS list the metal boxes etc by code C129, B26 etc and other wooden boxes by code H50) but it uses CWP AS a code.

It stands for cases, wood packing is a term used to describe a wooden box for ammunition. The term Box Ammunition Wood (BAW) is also used and sometimes the term BAW CWP ias used. I am not sure of the design differences that the descripters differentiate (fancy words for I don't know the differences they describe).

Leo
Leo,
CWP was used generally as an alternate to BAW. CWP were always expendable (NLE) and not required to be returned, whereas BAW were AS or Allied purpose built and up for re-use. eg, Commercial .22RF used to come in small wooden boxes.. useless for anything else.

Container Wooden Packaging (CWP) also covers the light wired ply wrap around type packaging holding multiple tins(BAS),as different from a box.

Ie, The NSP for SAA could be a CWP of 2xM2A1(BAS). ;)

Last edited:
A bit off subject, but I have a Vietnam dated US 81mm wooden crate, with tubes, BUT they are wrapped in a kind of wax paper. It took me awhile to figure out what is was and why- the waxy paper over the usuall black tubes is called "Jungle wrap". The US Army was having problems with the humidity of the jungle on the mortars and besides the sealed black tubes they added more protection, a heavy waxed paper around the black tubes. I know of no surviving examples and bought it from a guy who has a few pallets full of these crates w/tubes, sitting in his barn. PM if interested, the complete crates are only $35 plus shipping.See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: