What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C219 Ammunition Box and tubes for 40mm QF Bofors

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
The box showing the offset handle
C219_a.jpg

The stampings on the lid
C219_b.jpg

The cardboard tubes, 24 off. The lowest tube contains a round.
40mmtubes.jpg

The round itself
40mmQFHEBofors.jpg

The base stampings:
40m/m IV
L96 (I think), A or /|\ ,EB
G 17 1943 C

Primer stampings:
12 III G/N 3 JA
129AKY243

Stencilled on the case:
BATCH B995W J9(?)I or 1 L Propellant code

Stencilled on the head:
xxx (in red, suitable for tropical use.)
TNT (on a green band)
(Government Explosive class) 6
11606 (dont know what this means, any ideas?)

other side:
xxx (in red, suitable for tropical use.)
(green band)
7307 (I think the last digit is a 7)

(this next marking is a mystery)
_
\ E /

GD.6/43 (manufactuer code and date)

The fuze is a one piece casting, painted black. I need a real one to replace it.

The driving band is complete, unfired.

Last edited:
LCplCombat

The ammunition box
CMC - Crittal Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (As in the window manufacturers)

The tubes
RWP - Robinsons Waxed Paper, Ltd., Swindon
HS/M - H. Stevenson and Sons (Manchester). Also had factories at Birmingham, Glasgow and London /B, /G, /L.
EL - I don’t know

The projectile
GD - Glascoed Ordnance Factory. (This is a filling factory and would have filled the projectile)

The case
B995W - Batch, B is the batch prefix letter indicating a full charge with H.E. shell. 995 is the batch number, i.e., the 995th batch of B type rounds produced for the equipment. W is the sub-batch letter indicating 22nd lot of fuzes (I and O are not used). J signifies 'Bofors Cordite'

The case is fitted with a No. 12 Mk III primer.

If you’ve got photo’s of the primer, base and projectile I can probably take it further.

Regards

Tim.G.

Last edited:
I am sure that the "E" in a box denotes the type of propellant used. Will see if I can find out which one. (Possibly Waltham Abbey Mix) Gary

Last edited:
Really useful post- I have a C219 GMH W from'43 in sand. Thanks for the info

Your C219 box is Australian made. "GMH W" is for General Motors Holden's, Woodville, South Australia. GMH at that time made motor bodies and today are car manufacturers.

Yes, I was aware they made a lot of various ordnance including guns and shells, but I never knew exactly what they made. I have a 40mm Bofors projectile made by GMH-W.

Your C219 box is Australian made. "GMH W" is for General Motors Holden's, Woodville, South Australia. GMH at that time made motor bodies and today are car manufacturers.

Maybe not for much longer :)