What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 90mm WP SMK

pkm594

Ordnance approved
Guys
I have a recognition question for you. I have been given a photograph of a projectile that I think is a french designed 90mm WP SMK low pressure projectile. possibly for GIAT produced guns mounted on Panhard, Ratel and Eland 90 to name a few.

The projectile has its fins attached directly to the warhead, it also has a grove in which a driving band probably sat.

the fuzes seems to be a PD FUI-F2 which was used on:
90K MF-1 90mm WP
MF-1 90mm WP
OFUM PH90-F1 90mm WP
OFUM-90-F2 90mm WP

I am aware that ammunition for 90mm guns are manufactured by Belgium, Brazil, France, South Africa

Does any one have a cutaway drawing for these quite distincive projectiles?

thanks

Attachments

• 100_4767.jpg
    100_4767.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_4755.jpg
    100_4755.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_4778.jpg
    100_4778.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 91
Ordata online http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/ has some diagrams but only the HEAT projectile has an internal diagram. The Iraq pocket book also only has an external diagram. I have photos of the HE and I think the HEAT only.

Leo

Cheers!

Thank you very much it was most helpful and a link I will add to favorites.

French 90mm

Hi PKM 594
Saw your bit on this round. Was wondering about the fuse. I have a French WW2 dated 75mm M36 HE round with this fuse on it. Does this fuse date back to WW2 or do I have the wrong fuse on my projectile? It came with it so I assumed it was correct. Are these fuses particularly hard to come by as I need another for a German made projectile for the same gun? Thanks in advance..:tinysmile_shy_t:

90mmCokerill

I think you are looking at the 90 mm Cockerill Gun ammunition using a low pressure to slowly spin the projectile usually HEAT.

Attachments

• 90mm Cockrl TP LP.JPG
    90mm Cockrl TP LP.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 90mm Cckrl TP.JPG
    90mm Cckrl TP.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 90mm Case.JPG
    90mm Case.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 28
  • 90mm Case base.JPG
    90mm Case base.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 34
Chris, Do you know the manufacturer of that case?

I have one, aslo made by MMJ, no one has ever positively identified it. It is a new unfired case, it has never been loaded.

Is the Cockerill gun similar to the Russian Grom low pressure gun?

Finnish ?

Hi Falcon I have seen an earlier thread regarding the headstamp of "MMJ" as I used to have a load of kit with it on-I believe it is "Finnish" in origen as some of the rounds were 122mm as well as 130mm
Someone here will confirm the makers name.

Sorry I cannot give you a precise answer.