What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Japanese Message Carrier?

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
This is definitely Japanese and most likely from WWII but I have never seen another one like it or any info that would help pin it down. When I accquired it, the parachute was tucked inside the body. The base is threaded on so there is no way for the parachute to come out.

The best guess we can come up with so far is that it is some kind of message carrier that was designed to be dropped from aircraft.

The width is approx. 17mm with the legnth being about 80mm. Any ideas?

img0022forumeu6.jpg

this is definitely japanese and most likely from wwii but i have never seen another one like it or any info that would help pin it down. When i accquired it, the parachute was tucked inside the body. The base is threaded on so there is no way for the parachute to come out.

The best guess we can come up with so far is that it is some kind of message carrier that was designed to be dropped from aircraft.

The width is approx. 17mm with the legnth being about 80mm. Any ideas?

img0022forumeu6.jpg
it is an explosive munition from a japanese 70mm barrage mortar projectile. It contains rdx and use a pull friction detonator.

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the following picture/info but it may be of interest to you

Attachments

• Japanese Ord.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    Japanese Ord.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 45
  • screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 14
it is an explosive munition from a japanese 70mm barrage mortar projectile. It contains rdx and use a pull friction detonator.

Ahhh but mine is 17mm which leaves it well short of the 70mm required to match the one you both reference.

i thought the 70mm referred to the complete carrier unit ,not the submunitions carried within