What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2pdr Steel Ammo Box

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the inner box that held 8 rounds. What sort of catch did it have to hold the lid on? Did it have a number?
Cheers
Gary

Hello all,

Does anyone have a decent drawing or photo of the markings applied to the steel outer box for 2pdr rounds?

Regards

Gunnerop
img337.jpg

The package shown is a Box Steel C207 Mark 2, with 2 x Container 2 pr Mk 2 each containing 8 carts.
The C207 Mk 1 differs in that the hasps and hinges are fitted on the same sides as the carrying handles, with 2 x Containers 2 pr Mk 1.
The C207 Mk 1 may not have been very popular because the C207 Mk 2 was being produced by 1940.
I cannot tell you the dimensions of the inner containers, but I can tell you that they had a corned beef tin type soldered tear off strip.
I cannot now remember whether there was a key, like that on a 83 grenade STO cylinder, but we pulled them off with pliers. There was a long enough free end on the tear off strip to have pulled it off by hand.

For more wartime info on the 2 pr package situation, at March 1943, Ammunition Bulletin No 32, Para 679 in downloads is recommended.
Being so early it does not indicate that Box Steel B 167A Mk 1, containing 9 cartridges was widely in use by the end of WWII.

Thanks AE501, ill check out the bulletin. Its interesting that it had a tear off strip as the Hotchkiss 25mm rounds came in a box of 8 with a tear off strip to open.
Cheers
Gary

Hangarman

While looking for some info I have seen about the 25mm Hotchkiss you mentioned, I came across the dimensions of Container 2 pr, tin plate, 8 cart as 10.8"L x 5.5"B x 17.05"D. It does not specify which C207 mark it is from.
The only package info I found about the 25mm Hotchkiss says it comes in a 40 cart, zinc lined, wood box 25 x 15 x 11 weighing 117 lbs.

Last edited:
So, Container, Ammunition Mk I or II, containing 8 rounds fits a C198, or C207 (Mk1 or II) or C289. C198 I is 14.35 x 14.125 x 19.7 , C207 I is 17.8 x 11.7 x 13.35 , C207 II is 13.2 x 12.1 x 18.4 . Is the C198 a wooden Box? I guess the internal dimensions are the same for all of them? Don't know the dimensions of the C289 but I guess its similar to the others.
Has anyone got one of the above boxes and can they measure the internal dimensions which will give me the dimensions for the containers, Ammunition, mk I or II.
Thanks, in anticipation,
Cheers
Gary

Hi AE501, have been busy reading bulletin 32 so missed this post. The tin container you mention would fit all of the boxes with a bit to spare, although the dimensions I have given are stowage dimensions. Ill see if anyone has a box that they can measure, otherwise i'll go from your dimensions.
Cheers
Gary

Hangarman

While looking for some info I have seen about the 25mm Hotchkiss you mentioned, I came across the dimensions of Container 2 pr, tin plate, 8 cart as 10.8"L x 5.5"B x 17.05"D. It does not specify which C207 mark it is from.
The only package info I found about the 25mm Hotchkiss says it comes in a 40 cart, zinc lined, wood box 25 x 15 x 11 weighing 117 lbs.

The two marks of 8 cart containers are dedicated to the two marks of C207 as stated.
All others are contained loose in rolled cardboard cylinders.
Box C198 is wood and C289 is steel. The latter is end opening and has a butterfly lid like the H60.

Excellent, that's cleared that up then.
Cheers
Gary

The two marks of 8 cart containers are dedicated to the two marks of C207 as stated.
All others are contained loose in rolled cardboard cylinders.
Box C198 is wood and C289 is steel. The latter is end opening and has a butterfly lid like the H60.

Looking closer at Ammunition Bulletin No 32, I find that what you said about the 8 cart inners being in C198 was correct at that time, but in later info carts were loose in rolled paper cylinders in C198.

Not at all Norman. Some great info there to Supplement AE501's info. I can now see the difference between the 2 different ammunition containers for the C207 Mk I and II. Its also interesting to see the 2pr was still in use in 1953.... Illustration K shows Blank , would the boxes be painted Red?
Cheers
Gary

Last edited:
Gary,

I have three variations of the 8 round tin here if you wish to call in and have a look !

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Attachments

• DSCF3551.jpg
    DSCF3551.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF3554.jpg
    DSCF3554.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 44
Mixartillery

Thank you for showing that red tin because I never thought to see one again.
These are for Mk 9 & 10A gun AP shot, but I did a repair job on Mk 10B gun SVAP Mk 1 at the back end of 1957 and they also came in red tins.
The red tins were all marked SVAP in big white letters and when we opened them and pulled out the cartridges, the cases came out, but the bottom of the tins were full of white powder and loose tungsten shot. This was stopped and we went on to the Mk2A SVAP shot.

I did not mention the red tins in my other recent posts on the subject because some people might think my mind was wandering, because they think red always means Blank. Look at the packing label.

You may also find packages marked APSV not SVAP.
This is because the RAOC considers it more important that the shot should arrive at the target and to differentiate between HV and SV shot because they are not interchangeable. The user thinks it is more important for the shot to penetrate armour rather than how the projectile got there.

Last edited:
I also have post war dated tins painted black.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 42
Very nice tins Rob, though I wouldn't expect anything else.... I can see the internals are different on the 2 types of cartridge container but are they the same overall size??? ie 10.8" x 5.5" x 17.5" and does that include the handle??
Cheers
Gary

I also have post war dated tins painted black.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

Very nice tins Rob, though I wouldn't expect anything else.... I can see the internals are different on the 2 types of cartridge container but are they the same overall size??? ie 10.8" x 5.5" x 17.5" and does that include the handle??
Cheers
Gary

Yes all the same size externally and quite a snug fit inside the C207.

Rob..........................rnixartillery.