What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pdr fuze well size

Infanteer

Can someone tell me if the opening for the fuze on an 18 pdr HE shell is smaller than the opening on a shrapnel shell? Today I received a No85 fuze from one of the forum members and it unfortunately does not fit my HE shell body (fuze is too large in diameter). It appears that the bottom set of threads should be removeable which I am thinking is only there as an adapter for different styles of shells. Is this the case?

Hi Infanteer. the fuse sockets are the same thread on both HE and Shrapnel so the fuses will fit the problem you have with your fuse is the socket is still attached to the fuse there is a screw holding it on you will have to drill it out and try and remove the socket see pic.
Andy

Attachments

• No 80 & ring.jpg
    No 80 & ring.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 75
Oh my... the fuze you show is marked with a C /|\..... wish I could have that one....

Is the socket a part of the fuze or shell? There doesn't appear to be anything to remove from the shell (which has a storage plug fitted) so I can only surmise that the piece must be removed from the fuze.....

Hi the fuse socket is fixed to the shell first in the factory on shrapnel rounds the one you have on your HE is been threaded at the factory so there is nothing to remove so you need to remove the bottom half of the fuse call the socket see pic
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• Fuse Socket i.jpg
    Fuse Socket i.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 35
18pdrHEShellDiagram.jpg

The fuze thread is 2 inch. That's the size of the connection between shell and fuze.
Here's a diagram for an 18 pounder HE shell, 1916 above :

Here's the number 85 fuze below :
No85Fuze-2b.jpg

Image:18pdrHEShellDiagram.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, that's what I thought. I drilled out the rusted retaining screw last night but still am having great difficulty in removing the socket. Any advice on how to do this without causing damage? I can't grip the socket by the threads without doing harm.

Hi you could use a penetrating in the past i have had to cut it off as the fuse has been fired and has swelled out, its possible that it might not fit your shell.
Andy

Well, I really don't want to cut it off as these are not easy to come by here in Canada and would be willing to display it as is if I must.

Where in Canada are you ?

If you have an HE you really want the 100 or 101 type fuse, HE 18pdr are much scarcer than the shrapnel, worth the wait. save your 85. I can ask some body I know if they have an extra fuse.

Adaptor removal

One thing you may wish to try that will not permanently damage your projectile is heat and lots of ! :eek:oh:

Providing you are absolutely certain (110%) that it contains nothing explosive or chemical etc then you could try soaking the shell in Diesel (we cannot afford that over here :bigsmile:) and after a few days of soaking heat it up on a gas ring or with an acetylene torch to a very dull red whilst at the same time gently tapping the shell body (not the adaptor) with a rawhide mallet bearing in mind that all will be very soft and easily damaged at this elevated temperature.

Another thing you might also try is placing an old and expendable Fuze in the thread and securing it with "Locktite" or an equivalent then when it has gone solid you can use any sort of wrench to get the whole assembly out and then remove the old Fuze with a bit of heat.

It may pay you to try the "Locktite" method first as if it will not remove the adaptor you can then apply the heat method and this will release the "Locktite" .

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks for the advice, however the socket is attached to the fuse and not the shell body so the problem is how to grip the fuse and socket at the same time to twist them apart. I could try heat but then how do I hold the fuse which is angled and the socket at the same time?

Regardless, someone has offered me a nice No 101 and a No 80 (which has never been loaded) so I think I will go that route. Thanks for the replies though.

Cheers, Steve

Fuze socket

Sorry infanteer, went off at half cock again !:tinysmile_angry2_t: someone must have nicked my safety pin !

See your problem and must ask the question as to whether or not the two arts are "soft soldered" together as I have seen a great deal of these old fuzes having being soldered, and they are beggars to get apart.

No Solder !

Then Infanteer my best advice is to soak in Diesel for a good few days then gently warm the whole lot up and secure the adaptor ring in a vice or Lathe chuck if you can get one and gently tap (with Rawhide or plastic mallet) until hopefully the threads let go..

Good luck !