What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CARR AMM No29 MK1

Falcon

I've never seen one of these before, I got it at the car boot this morning for 3. It is a "Carrier, Ammunition, No. 29 Mark 1" according to the stampings. It is obviously a fairly modern item as it is stamped RG 1986. It is made up of two metal trays that lock together with catches to hold four H84 ammunition boxes. The markings on the boxes indicate they held 7.62 Linked, four Ball to 1 Tracer, in M13 (GPMG) links.

I am currently in the process of removing some paint that was apparently put on there when it was sold off to the public to cover the markings. The chap I bought it from said he got it at an MoD auction in Skegness. I was using industrial paint thinners, as this doesnt seem to touch the original paint underneath, but takes off the top coat of paint and leaves the markings largely intact. Once I'm done it will probably end up going to work to store tools in.

I'll have to try and get some more thinner, as I got it from the school DT room when I was still there, and I had the last of what was in the container. It was Trimite industrial and apparently was not for sale to the public.

no29.jpg

no29_end.jpg

no29_front.jpg

no29_end2.jpg

nice buy,did the ammo cans come with it,i have had ammo boxes before that have had the markings SPRAYED over,i just used turps and wire wool and it came off very easy and didnt damage the paint or stenciling underneath

I got it with the tins for 3, he had another one as well for the same price. It nearly killed me carrying it back, I had to put it in a big carrier bag to cover it up to get it on the train home.

Whereabouts do you get tirps? Art supply shops? The paint on this has definitely been applied with a brush.

Absolute bargain!

Blimey for 3 quid you got the lot !

Normally I think the single tins go for about 7-00 each !:tinysmile_cry_t:

You did very well there my friend !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

I got it with the tins for 3, he had another one as well for the same price. It nearly killed me carrying it back, I had to put it in a big carrier bag to cover it up to get it on the train home.

Whereabouts do you get tirps? Art supply shops? The paint on this has definitely been applied with a brush.

Turpentine or turpentine substitute can be got in any DIY shops ,lots of places stock it and its very cheap,so if it doesnt remove your paint you can save it for cleaning brushes or whatever

I never knew they were worth as much as 7 per tin.

I'll keep everyone up to date on how the markings turn out once I remove the paint.

I suppose I could repair the lost markings with yellow airfix paint and a small brush.

Last edited:
I bought some turpentine substitute earlier, the paint comes off but it takes some scrubbing. You also have to be careful that you don't scrub the markings too much or they start to come off eventually. I haven't finished yet as it takes quite a while and that stuff gives you a headache!