What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nose pistol No.873 Mk1

bloome

I found vanes of Nose fuze No.873 Mk1 i think,

Anyone some info about the complete british Nose fuze No.873 Mk1?
All pics are welcome.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
may be of use to you..

Attachments

• Kopfznder No. 873 Mk I.jpg
    Kopfznder No. 873 Mk I.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 115

Hi
Hope it's what you 've found

Attachments

• 843.jpg
    843.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 843.1.jpg
    843.1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 44
Hi
Hope it's what you 've found

it is !! thanks.
do you have a pic or cut of the 20lb bomb?

ps also a piece of the cluster container was found:

dropan5.jpg

i have this but cannot find anything on the container

Attachments

• Splitterbombe F 20 LB Fallsch..jpg
    Splitterbombe F 20 LB Fallsch..jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
no idea sorry,,ive just found in Navordop 1665 ..
colour markings..overall body colour Dark green with a 1/2 inch red band around nose and a 1 inch light green band around body

Last edited:
Im wondering if the colour in the drawings which looks blue may be something the artist did or its distorted when it was scanned
ref colour yellow i found this info,again from..navord op 1665.."HE bombs were originally painted yellow by the british.The change to dark green was made about the same time that the united states changed to olive drab,consequently yellow bombs may still be found" document dated 1944

Several changes were made late 1943, due to Allied interchangebility and recognition (UK/US). Another consequence was the use of both suspension systems (three lugs) on airdropped munitions.

@Spotter.. maybe you are a bit confused about the colour. It reads grass green for UK munitions and Olive drab for American air dropped munitions.
The marking on the UK and US are different too.. the red filling band f.e. on the nose section was never introduced to the US scheme, later on the US used Yellow bands.
Bye the way the UK Yellow colour sceme could be changed for camouflage reasons too.. (just a wild guess)

Last edited:
Why is this one in blue? not yellow?

The illustration is from a Peter Voss book (a German eod technician), sadly enough the colours are distorted due to a poor reproduction process. The colour should be dark green.. not dark blue.

Last edited:
And some info on the UK No.17 cluster, the relic you are showing in post No.4 has two suspension lugs instead of one.

Attachments

• cluster UK No.17 Mk2-op1665.jpg
    cluster UK No.17 Mk2-op1665.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Several changes were made late 1943, due to Allied interchangebility and recognition (UK/US). Another consequence was the use of both suspension systems (three lugs) on airdropped munitions.

@Spotter.. maybe you are a bit confused about the colour. It reads grass green for UK munitions and Olive drab for American air dropped munitions.
The marking on the UK and US are different too.. the red filling band f.e. on the nose section was never introduced to the US scheme, later on the US used Yellow bands.
Bye the way the UK Yellow colour sceme could be changed for camouflage reasons too.. (just a wild guess)

Not me thats confused dillo ,i just quoted from the manual navord op 1665 which i did say was where i got the info from

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25

Hello! Here times fuzes 873 mean as Schnittmodel. I got this fuze from Peter Vo from Hamburg. It stood on his desk, I got it as memory to a visit with him in Hamburg.Wie admits is, is it an author of the books of 98 British bomb fuzes until 1945 and 123 British bombs to 1945.ich hopes the pictures pleases you. Greeting from Germany Harry

Attachments

• No 873 Mk.I.jpg
    No 873 Mk.I.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
  • No 873 Mk.I..jpg
    No 873 Mk.I..jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 46
  • No 873 Mk.I...jpg
    No 873 Mk.I...jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 42

Here times a picture of Peter Vo with a defusing English of a bomb.

Attachments

• Scan0011.jpg
    Scan0011.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Scan0012.jpg
    Scan0012.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 24
Hello! Here times fuzes 873 mean as Schnittmodel. I got this fuze from Peter Vo from Hamburg. It stood on his desk, I got it as memory to a visit with him in Hamburg.Wie admits is, is it an author of the books of 98 British bomb fuzes until 1945 and 123 British bombs to 1945.ich hopes the pictures pleases you. Greeting from Germany Harry

Hey those are superb! thanks for sharing.

Schne Grsse.

873 Pistols

The actual Pistols

Attachments

• 873 pistol 002.jpg
    873 pistol 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 44
Are these books still available? I would be very interested in getting a copy, especially the 123 British bomb book! I am particularly interested in making models of the various ordnance types carried by the Swordfish torpedo plane, so the various 250 lb bombs, the depth charges (like the one illustrated above), flares, rockets and so forth. If any of these are illustrated in the same way, I would be very grateful for a sight of the pages.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Perry

Last edited: