What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preserving grenades and shells.

Hi, I find that using waxoyl, car rustproofing, helps combat the dreaded rust.I have waxoyled all my bits including stick grenade heads, no. 77's Brit grenades etc. It does not damage the paint and any stencil marks.After a few days it dries out to give complete protection. A tip, heat helps the waxoyl flow into any wee nooks and crannies! Leave in sunlght or use your good lady's hairdrier to warm the can. To date , no damage to any of my collection.Easily obtained from Halfords.good luck..it honestly works!
Bye, Murdosbunker

Last edited:
Good tip off thank you.
The only waxoyl i used to use years ago was that black,gunky stuff that used to be sprayed underside of the car.Surely its not one and the same!

cheers

waff

Waxoyl

Yes Waff it is one and the same except you can get it in a clear wax now.

Damn good stuff it is too, albeit a bit niffy for a while !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Waxoyl

Hi Waff and Chris, yup , you are right it's a yellowy clear stuff...as I said, leave it in the sun to become runny, pour it in the item, swirl it about and then tip/shake out the excess. This leaves a clearish coat of protection. Wonderful product, I don't use the aerosol, I bought the 1 litre can and have done many grenades and still have lots left. Good luck,Lewis

Last edited:
Lewis,

do you have any piccies of before and after you have used waxoyl? I have often tried to clean up Mills bombs to bare metal and i often use beeswax polish and then buff em up well to keep the rustworm at bay. However i have been able to get hold of a few grens complete and as found and dont want to do too much to them but would like to halt the rust.
Does the waxoyl look as though its been thickly applied? Do you rub/polish some of it off?
Generally, i use the beeswax on my grens on an annual basis and this seems to stop most of the rust, just not sure how they would look with the waxoyl. Sad as i am, i also tend to pick em up on a regular basis and i wonder if much of the waxoyl would transfer to my hands?
Sorry if ive gone off on one but your post was very interesting.

Andy

Last edited:
Waxoyl

Hi Andy, thanks for asking about the Waxoyl. I should have said that I only use it in the inside of my grenades.....sorry about that! My m43 stick grenade for sale on Spec Auctions has had the treatment on the inside. The actual product is for cars and you spray / brush it into box sections, inside doors etc etc. In the not too distant past when cars were more prone to rust it was and is a great rust inhibitor. If you coated the outside of any piece, yes, it would come off on your hands...very messy.When the Waxoyl "dries" it is still kinda "damp". Theory is that it can flow into any scratches? So the blurb on the advert used to say. I would not coat the exterior of any item with it.
I have heard that Briwax , (wood wax), can be used to great effect on the outside of Mills grenades. Brush it on, let it dry,24 hours and buff it off with a brush simlar to the type used to buff shoes. Hope this helps. Bye.:tinysmile_classes_t

Last edited:
Cheers for that bud, i think i will stick to the beeswax, especially as its a byproduct from the honey i keep squeezing from my bees. Best wishes

Andy