Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fuzeman

Legality of owning fuzes in the UK

Hi to all BOCN members and guests reading this , there appears to be a lot of confusion here in the UK about the legal ownership of German Bomb Fuzes, i will try to give you the correct information
    the present situation is that it is not illegal to own any type of German bomb fuze , and there is no future legislation to ban them !as they contain no hazardous material , the capicitors that once contained an electrical charge , has long since deteriated , and is no longer capable of that function.. The match composition which the charge in the capicitors would have ignited is deep inside the fuze body , and in all cases would be unable to access, so that is another hazard removed .
    Anyone who enters your premises and states that it is illegal to own ,take with a pinch of salt as they do not know what they are talking about.

END of Lesson

Thanks
    Thank you Steve as ive been flapping since one of the collector community`s has been found guilty of having some unlicensed weapons this week.

Does your post rule apply to those fuzes on projectiles such as AZ23/AZ1,ZZ60 and the like?

cheers

waff
    Last edited by waffenamt; 26th August 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: worded a bit better...............

Fuzeman
    Hi Paul
    Yes it does there are no restrictions on AZ23 etc but if they are on the projectile themself then i would advise that they be able to be unscrewable to be on the safe side , that way it proves that the projectile is empty .
    Last edited by Fuzeman; 26th August 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    So if i tell any potential visitors that they are all literally `paperweights` then im cool?
    What about all my ZZ42 trip fuzes etc?,they are all `spent`.
    best

waff.

Fuzeman
    Never any problems with ZZ35 ZZuZ35 ZZ42 all perfectly legal to own ,remember last year i gave a lecture to the Channel islands police force .years ago they themselfs gave me some ZZ35 that were dug up .
    Last edited by Fuzeman; 26th August 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks
    Ok and thank you yet again old friend.
    I think its a good idea to let this thread run as i for one have always been a little unsure.

How do i go on with displaying my SD2`s and SD4?
    Another good pal in here advises me to display them completely separated?
    Currently they are all together but loose parts.

best

waff

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waffenamt For This Useful Post:

rg303 (17th August 2014)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    many thanks Steve, the more information that is in the public domain the better - visits are on the increase due in part to the increased number of items being sent via Royal Mail (thanks to ebay, SA.com etc) and the more sophistciated sensing equipment installed in sorting offices in the fight again terrorism. Even WW2 shell cases will have a residue that can now be detected throught the packaging - a friend rec'd a shell case via the post to which had been attached a list of the component parts of the original propellant! But equally, another friend has just been informed that he can have his collection back as there was nothing illegal in it. But we all know that live handguns are a no no, that shotguns must be held on certificate and that live ammo. needs to be held against a valid certificate and properly stored. Those who knowingly break the law can't really complain if they get caught. They may be our friends, but they don't do us any favours by bringing unfavourable publicity to our sphere of collecting.
    Another tip if you do get a visit is to insist on an itemised receipt - they'll be quite happy to just take it all away but they don't always bring it all back! Dave

Thanks
    Thank you too Dave,
    As you say,i think its good for us to approach this subject especially in this day and age.

best

waff

Thanks
    Waff,
    The gentleman who you originally referred to was sent down for weapons offences, ie the guns themselves, and not deliberate although he should have known better. He is also a collector of certain types of ordnance and although these were removed by other uniformed gentlemen for examination they were returned, with a few exceptions. The point to make here is that the ordnance was not the cause of the incarceration and, if inert, is legal to own. It's good to know the issues and the law, but there is no need for the collecting fraternity to panic. BD

Premium Member
    Thanks

Unhappy

Another associate of the person who was raided and convicted went through the same thing and faces sentencing on September 1. Both gentlemen had the bulk of thier collections seized (read truck loads here) but as mentioned earlier in the thread, most items were returned. Don't know if the items which were not returned are still being held or if they were destroyed. In both cases though, the convictions were for relic but functional firearms which carried manditory jail time.

Without getting into a political debate, I think the entire thing was a waste of public funds and once the police realized they were dealing with collectors and not terrorists, they had to follow up and do something to justify their time and expense associated with the raid and storage of seized property. Sadly these two friends are paying the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast