What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iraqi 82MM OG-82 RPG Rocket

alan.military

This an example of a locally produced rocket for the RPG-7 rocket launcher. It consisted of basically an Iraqi made 82mm mortar round fitted to a PG rocket motor and fins with a machined aluminum connector (fins and fuze not pictured). It was designated as the OG-82 Iraqi rocket, ground-to-ground, HE. The Iraqis also produced a smaller and lighter 60mm version. A cost effective RPG rocket to produce, but with a much limited range than a regular PG rocket (because of weight), I'm not sure how effective this rocket would be to use?

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0893_1.jpg
    IMG_0893_1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0894_1.jpg
    IMG_0894_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0896_1.jpg
    IMG_0896_1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 54
thanks for the post alan very interesting thats one i havnt seen before and dont own in my collection i will have to see if i can repo one is there any mortor rounds that is available readily in the uk thats the same that i could use ? as i am not a mortor man hopefully somebody on here could tell me ? also do you have any pics of the 60mm version ? cheers

from chris

Hi Chris,

Not sure where you could pick up a Soviet 82 or 60mm mortar round, possibly militaria shows. There were a batch of inert Soviet 82mm mortars that were imported into the states about ten years ago, occasionally they do show up. Here is a link describing the rounds and other Iraqi ordnance;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2002/iraq-osgjs-eod.htm

Look under the projectiles section. Enclosed a picture of the 60mm version were you can clearly see the aluminum section that secures the mortar to the rocket. If you had a friend who was a machinist I think this would not be too hard to recreate.

Thanks,
Alan

Attachments

• Iraqi mortar_RPG.jpg
    Iraqi mortar_RPG.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 96
As far as usage goes- it would be better than a HEAT round if you were fighting dismounted troops in urban or open terrain. A PG-7 shaped charge has only about 8oz of explosives in it, and it's designed to punch through armor- not spread frag at people.
I had one fired at me while I was in a truck- the guy missed by a good 20 feet, and hit a dirt hill along the road. The explosion was so well absorbed by the dirt, I thought the round had been a dud- until I saw the remains of the rocket motor bounce back up and fly off in a random direction.
the OG-7 has a frag sleeve in it that makes it more usefull against people- useless against the slightest armor (again, only 8oz. of explosive- but no shape charge effect). This mortar round system is good to try a "lobbing" shot against people in the open, or a straight shot at a short (urban) distance- this is likely the best choice, since the fuze may not take a grazing angle well enough to fire.

Chinese Type 69 75mm bounding grenade is better for troops round hard surfaces or vehicles

Attachments

• type 69.jpg
    type 69.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 66
thanks for the pics and extra info everybody that was great and alan getting the alluminium section made up is no problem at all mate i work for an engineering firm so have full access to all the machines need to make the bits :) so just got to find me a mortar does anybody know if there is a simular looking on that i can use instead that is readily available in the uk ? or better still the actual one i need ? cheers

from chris

E-Tech and Jayteepee you are correct, the Iraqi OG-82 would be very similar in use to the Chinese Type 79 bounding rocket. There were special sights that were used when firing the type 79 round that clamped on to the traditional RPG iron sites. The special sight allowed for the rocket to be 'lobbed' instead of a traditional straight shot. I have some marked sight examples that came back from the Gulf, the pictured sterile sight with pouch I believe is Bulgarian.

Attachments

• PG-7 cache.jpg
    PG-7 cache.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 80
  • ramadi-cache2.jpg
    ramadi-cache2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 90
  • OG rocket sight and pouch 2.jpg
    OG rocket sight and pouch 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 73
I still remember seeing the Type 69's frag sleeve in class one day- looked like a coffee can with walls made of 1/2inch ball bearings set in a plastic matrix- nasty looking thing.