What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about RPG-7 rocket...

hallo all,
How is the RPG's rocket loaded so as to make sure that the igniter or firing charge is properly struck.Does it have an indexing device like the Gustav?
regards
TDD

Hello TTD,

Don't know if this quite answers your question, but here are the basics for how the PG rocket operates;

The RPG gunner screws a booster (cardboard tube containing the metal fins mounted on a metal shaft with holes) with a propelling charge and screws it to the warhead. The round seats into the tube with a small stud on the round that fits an indentation in the lip of the tube. The firing pin strikes a squib of nitroglycerin powder wrapped around the metal tail fin shaft that in turn fires a charge of gunpowder in the end of the shaft that kicks the round out of the tube. At 11 meters out of the tube,the abrupt acceleration of the round leaving the tube triggers a piezoelectric fuze that ignites the primer, thus igniting a squib of nitro, activating the rocket motor that carries the rocket out to 900 meters where if it has not struck a target, it well self detonate.

Alan

Attachments

• OG-7V round with accessories poster.jpg
    OG-7V round with accessories poster.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 93
  • RPG-7 Launcher poster.jpg
    RPG-7 Launcher poster.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 73
  • RPG-7 poster.jpg
    RPG-7 poster.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 70
  • rpg7 color poster.jpg
    rpg7 color poster.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 77
  • VB-7  PG7 Fuse poster.jpg
    VB-7 PG7 Fuse poster.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 107
Yep I agree with alan.military but the last part about self det is not a standard feature of this weapon but I am not going into detail as this website is not the forum for this

The activating proces was described correctly but the rocket propeller is activated when a round is kicked out of the weapon. There is a simple pyrotechnic delay element which is activated by set back force. The delay element is compound of primer, spring, firing pin and delays. Primer makes flame which ignites delays and after some time is fired rocket propellent. It is all. The delay secures that rocket propellent is ignited at a distance when the shooter is in safe against flame. The construction it is seen well in the picture.

Attachments

• zpoďovač.jpg
    zpoďovač.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The self destruction mechanism of the fuze VP-7 works on the same principles. There is firing pin (37), spring (36) and primer (35)which ignites delay (33). When the delay is burnt out flame is transfered into the fuze detonator (34).

Attachments

• VP-7...jpg
    VP-7...jpg
    54 KB · Views: 73
  • VP-7..jpg
    VP-7..jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
movie

That is what I found on the net.
Beware, this film is not to put all the hands.
But it is on YouTube.

LINK REMOVED BY SPOTTER

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you found his obituary yet? Seriously, the "techniques" shown in that link are dangerous at best and deadly at worst.

I agree with EODTEK. This parctice is not sanctioned by BOCN and practices of this nature will not be tollerated by the site. I know it is a YOUTUBE production but lets keep these links off of this site. This site can be viewed by all and I would like to state that BOCN does not in any way support this type of activity.

Can every member note that links like this and others showing that type of activity be kept off the site and will be liable to being removed...

JP