Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: Large Shell

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

Large Shell

Gents, Spotted this on Glasgow Central it's got a twin at Queens Street, with the price of scrap being what it is I'm surprised it's not been nicked, perhaps the size put them off ,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Yes, Im glad that you photographed that! I mentioned it in the thread "odd uses for ordnance" in the restoration section. Its a beauty.

Fred

Thanks
    It looks to be made of mostly steel, so moving it luckily wouldn't be worthwhile for the amount of scrap value. Nice to see that something like that is still there anyway, even though of course nowadays it isn't "politically correct".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yes, Im glad that you photographed that! I mentioned it in the thread "odd uses for ordnance" in the restoration section. Its a beauty.

Fred
    Ah!,i knew i had seen a related thread before!

Yes,great pic thanks.

best

waff

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

Smile Large Shell / King George V

Gents ,
    This large shell was more than likley the size fired from HMS King George V, Interest
    When the Battle Ships left the Cylde they went around the Mull to the range near Ballochroy between Tarbert & MaChrihanish, to test the Guns . In 1980 I took a team up to do some BAC on the old range so to allow the Scottish Economical Forestery to plant trees, when ever we found one of these "Big B*** they were blown in situ (Big Hole) then we had to proof the ground after the blow,any shell frags had to be removed, this was done by carrying them of using 4 x men with the shell splinter on the issue stretcher, many of which ripped with the weight(Going rate for good clean ferrous scrap today is 1.2k a tonne) it's the overall engineering that gets me just look at the launch platform required in the attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    when we are talking on scrap removal i am just working on upgrade of SOP with post-demolition procedures which require that every non toxic scrap must be removed to the junkyard.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Looks Like

It is a huge Red Cross collection box, from WW1 ? - at a main train station just the place with thousands of people passing every day.

Thanks
    There is a similar large shell at one of the London tube stations -----if my memory is correct it is Baker street

Images
    Thanks

Thumbs up Another wartime item

Baker street B 12 in.jpgBaker street A.jpgI had to go to London today and needed to use the "tube" but due to delays it was a very slow journey with a change at Edgeware road.
    Once the change was done the rest of the journey was a bit stop and start with the result that we stopped for a few minutes at Baker street, sitting in the carriage I looked around in the gloom of the station and saw this-forunately the tube train stayed long enough for me to get out and take the picture !

tranchart you were spot on !
    Last edited by Chris 42 RQ; 25th May 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Last line