What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hERMAN, Portmouth 1966.

EODONE

Ordnance Approved
Here you go Gents,

One we dug up earlier from a quarry out side Portsmouth, we had trouble removing the locking rings and so we drilled holes through it all round the circumferance then tapped it out with a chisel, neutralised the fuse then
loaded on a RN tug to take out to sea and explode, Navy divers lost it! so one day it will wash up or get dredged up and the fun will start again,
For those who may think they knoe me I'mmin the Picture.

Take care and be lucky Eodone.

Attachments

• 1,0000kgHermanPortsmouth1966.jpg
    1,0000kgHermanPortsmouth1966.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 106
Hi EODONE
I remember that case it made the news , will have to look through my press cuttings
Can you remember the Fuze , if it was Portsmouth i guess it was a (28) fuze same as the Bow job a couple of months back , which was also a Hermann

HERMAN Portsmouth 1966

Yes Fuzeman it was a 28 fuze and using the hand drill it took 57 drill holes to make the locking ring weak enough to chisel out. with care, I remember the hole drilling being interesting because now and again the fuze pocket woul let out a little Hiss , that sounded like thunder.
EODONE

Sounds similar to the Becton gas works bomb that hissed when hand drilled . thats German engineering for you, after all those years it was still airtight?