What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" Field 75mm oh my

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I have a couple of projectiles/casings in my collection that I would like to sort out.

The first casing's head is shown below. Seems straightforward: 3" Field Gun. Right? Right.

The two projectiles in question, along with their fuze plugs are next.

I also have a 75mm casing that is completely unmarked.

Questions: What is the difference between the projectile for a 75mm and that for a 3" Field Gun? I think that the 3" has two grooves for crimping. Is that it though?

Might I (reasonably) correctly mate my grooved projectile with my 3" casing?

I assumed that the various fuze plug thingies were for shipping of the shells. If so, why so fancy? Why not one piece?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 3in field gun.jpg
    3in field gun.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 75mm.jpg
    75mm.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 168
  • fuse pieces.jpg
    fuse pieces.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99
Interesting.

I am attaching a scan of the base. Looks like the letters LN repeated twice, once followed by 16. There is also a circle with an N and another letter that I cannot make out.

What makes you say "Russian"?

Attachments

• one groove base.jpg
    one groove base.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 40
russian 7.6 or 3"

I know that American machinist have made some 3"russian shells for France, Russia and Great Britain
This shell is setting with Schneider Fuze
LN is perhaps for Lyon Artillery Park

Russian 3in

Hi
Sketche of 3in russian and 75mm french From American factory

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 100
3"russian

Hi
Documents extracts of newspapers American Machinist since the great war

re 3in

Hi
Machinery
New york
The Industrial Press
The Machinery Publishing
London Co Ltd
By Douglas T Hamilton

i've two type of 3" Russian HE shell

Of your two projectiles, the one on the left is a 76.2mm Russian. There were bazillions of these made during WWI in the U.S.to ship to Europe, and you being in Connecticut are right in the middle of the manufacturing area where they were made. The one on the right is a standard U.S. 75mm MK I HE with the standard PD fuze. These were fired by the French 75 caliber guns. The National Guards fired them in the U.S. up till the 1930s. The fuze was so touchy, that they were ordered to stand behind concrete barricades to pull the firing lanyards, except in wartime. Neither projo goes with the case you pictured for the 3 inch field gun.