What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15.2 cm Bofors projectile

Chris

Ordnance approved
Well here's my first thread.
Does anybody has information about the projectile. It has three rotating bands it's post WWII (1953 and further). I have no further details or measurements. But I'm sure it's Bofors because sign is on the projectile. I also no it's just by the Dutch Navy

I hope someone can help

Hi Chris,
I think a friend of mine has one of these with case a monster of a round standing about 5 to 6 feet tall. I will try to get a picture and some info from him, his is a Bofors.
Regards Weasel.

15.2 Cm Round

Hi Chris, here is a picture of a complete round.
The projectile is a slightly newer version (1991) with only a single driving band (land use I believe) but the case was 42 dated.

And as you can see it is a bit of a monster measuring about 5 foot 6 inches in length when assembled.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

oops no picture

Sorry finger trouble again!
Here is the picture.

Attachments

• 15.2 CM Round.jpg
    15.2 CM Round.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 108
Wow Chris that's one hell of a round..........I like it!!

Dave.

Bofors projectile

Chris 42,

Thanks for the picture of the complete round.
Hereby a picture of the projectile we found in Holland

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• 152 mm Bofors Projectile.jpg
    152 mm Bofors Projectile.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 60
Hi Chris

Hi Chris please could you re-post your photograph in a larger format as I cannot see the shell clearly.

Many thanks

Better Photo

Chris

This one must be a better quality sorry for the first one

Chris

Attachments

• 152mm Bofors Projectile.jpg.jpg
    152mm Bofors Projectile.jpg.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 57
15.2 CM Bofors

Hi Chris thanks for re posting the picture-from that picture I can only tell you that the rifling is consistant with a Bofors made barrel which still does not positively identify your round !

Someone here will almost certainly come up with a positive ID on the round-I assume it is sea recovered as it looks like it is "on deck" and if so is either very new or landed in some very thick mud !

Hi Chris,
Sorry its taken me a while to get round to getting this picture for you. I belive this is the round you are thinking of....I dont have much info on it other than it is a Bofors naval round, and that the projectile does not sit directly in the case but inside a cup inside the case. This is a massive round shown next to a pair of 4.5" naval rounds for comparison. All are inert and empty of course,

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 0242.jpg
    0242.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 0252.jpg
    0252.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
15.2 cm Projectile

Hi Weasel thanks for putting up the pictures-lovely round and the cup will act as a holder and a barrel de-coppering agent too boot !
Never see those cups though ?

Used to have one for an experimental 4.5 circa 1943 but swapped it out and only realised how interesting it was after the guy nearly took my arm off in his haste to get it !

Best regards