What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surperb Brit Reference --- Free

Thanks

Thanks Birdseye for the link, very nice document that will take me ages to go through.

Cheers

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Just curious, Does anyone know the legal position on distributing this publication?

Just curious, Does anyone know the legal position on distributing this publication?

According to Wiki (who uses images from this and the later edition) the Crown copyright expired after 50 years.

In fact though, this is not distribution since the file is not stored here.

I agree, that was my interpretation too.

On a related note, I actually spoke to a copyright lawyer here in the US about public domain stuff (the US government cannot copyright). She told me that while someone can copyright the way a public domain book is presented (ie, notes that were added, a custom cover, etc), the actual information itself cannot be copyrighted since the government produced it. So technically you could copy and paste all of the info into another document and spread it around... at least thats how I see it.

I wonder if that is the same for the UK ? I have bought a couple books from the Naval & Military Press that are reproductions of old manuals (Textbook of Ammunition, 1936 for instance). No copyright notice that I saw, but who knows ?

I've gotten into loooooooong and tedious discussions on this topic. A fellow that posts on another forum is a Wiki copyright expert and I take his word as best I am going to get without paying:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Fact is that the worst case scenario is that a copyright holder would ask you to cease and desist. Which is easy enough to do.

An awful lot of stuff is on Google Books, both US and Brit. Much as old as the Treatise. Google has been over the legalities enough to make me not be concerned in downloading the information. I suspect that they simply have not gotten around to digitizing this particular work. Also, it occurs to me that there are one or more folks who sell prints of the lithos from this book on ebay.

Anyway, I will make a point of listing the references that I found on Google. It would save members the time it takes to search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright#United_Kingdom

The duration of Crown copyright varies depending whether material is published or unpublished. Unpublished material was originally subject to copyright protection in perpetuity. However, the 1988 Act removed this concept from British law. Transitional provisions apply for 50 years after the entry into force of the 1988 Act which mean that no unpublished material will lose its copyright protection until January 1, 2040. New Crown copyright material that is unpublished has copyright protection for 125 years from date of creation. Published Crown copyright material has protection for 50 years from date of publication. Those works protected under Letters Patent have perpetual control of reproduction claimed over them despite being published. Works where copyright is assigned to the Crown by an author are subject to the normal term of protection for that particular type of work, for example life of the author plus 70 years for a literary work.