What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spotting suspect fuzes

F

Fuzeman

Sometime ago i was offered a german brass number (5) fuze on first examination i thought there was something strange about it , so upon examining the ones in my collection i decided to investigate further
The original Brass no(5) fuze had brass charging pins , the A plunger always in line with the locating pin see picture 1 , when the delay was found to be too long the fuzes were withdrawn and remarked (28) the number 5 being * starred out , these fuzes that were reworked and to distinguish the difference the brass pins were replaced with steel , the locating pin still being in line with the A pin .
The fuze offered to me had the locating pin in the 12 o/clock position, as shown in picture 2 of an early number (9) fuze , the construction is the same on these fuzes as the brass (50 and (28) . so i thought i would let potential buyers of these early fuzes ,what to look out for and to spot "played around " fuzes , perhaps the internals of the fuze were missing , so buyers beware

Attachments

• 15 fuzes that have been tampered with 001.jpg
    15 fuzes that have been tampered with 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 15 fuzes that have been tampered with pt2.jpg
    15 fuzes that have been tampered with pt2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John
Thats correct the only fuze that i could show with that type of construction i was writing about , had the locating pin missing , so i put a small steel pin in place , which was much too long .

Cheers Steve,
After studying your write-up,ive now found a good,clean example of a type 5.
Its seems unmessed with and all the description matches with your info.
Again,thanks.

best

waff