What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x173 ammo for Goalkeeper / GAU-8/A

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway models of several 30x 173 cartridges as used in the Gau -8A Anvenger gatling gun, the Goalkeeper CIWS, and the 30 mm Mk 44 Bushmaster gun.

The Gau-8 has a firing rate of 3.900 rpm. The standard ammunition mixture for anti-armor use is a four-to-one mix of PGU-14/B Armor-Piercing Incendiary (API), with a projectile weight of about 15.0 oz (425 grams or 6,560 grains) and PGU-13/B High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) rounds, with a projectile weight of about 12.7 oz (360 grams). The PGU-14/B round incorporates a depleted uranium penetrator. The Avenger is lethal against tanks and any other armored vehicles.
A very important innovation in the design of the GAU-8/A shells is the use of aluminum alloy cases in place of the traditional steel or brass. This alone adds 30% to ammunition capacity for a given weight. The shells also have plastic driving bands that tripple barrel life.

Films showing the Gau-8 in action:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCWrL6VjsY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCWrL6VjsY&feature=related[/ame]
(notice that one fires PGU 13/b HE shells (Yellow)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6itQfUwF1o&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6itQfUwF1o&feature=related[/ame]

The Goalkeeper is a Dutch design CIWS (Close In Weapon System) designed by Holland signaal. It is an autonomous functioning system consisting of a GAU-8/A Avanger gatling gun (4200 rpm in 200 rnds bursts), a Search and a track radar and a computer. The system can track up to 18 targets and descide which has priority in destruction. Several goalkeepers on one ship can function apart or as a “team”.
Films showing the Goalkeeper in action:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBFSGzRyV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBFSGzRyV4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdeNI328pjk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdeNI328pjk&feature=related[/ame]

The Bushmaster Mk44 as used in the USMC's Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHK-HooR78&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHK-HooR78&feature=related[/ame]

The ammunition for the guns:

1- The PGU (Projectile Gun Unit) 16/b dummy. The projectile has been connected to the shellcase by means of an allan screw which is placed in the primer pocket. Length of round 290 mm.

2- The PGU-15/b Target Practice (TP). In shape it mainly resembles the PGU-13/b

3/4- The PGU-13/b High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) cartridge.
Round length: 290 mm
Round weight: 662 grams
Projectile weight: 360 grams
Muzzle velocity: 1021 mtrs/sec

The projectile No.3 has a double drivingband and is manufactured by Aerojet Ordnance Company, projectile No.4 with the single red drivingband has been manufactured by ATK.

The projectile is fuzed with the M505 nose impact fuze.
The M505 nose impact fuze is made of seven parts:
-the steel fuze housing
-the detonator ball
-the U shaped red copper clamp (around the det. ball)
-the booster cap
-the collared firing pin
-the ballistic nose tip.

The detonator Ball has a channel, containing the detonator. In rest this channel is out of line with the firing pin so the firing pin cannot reach the detonator. A U shaped red copper calmp fixates the ball in this position.
On firing, the U shaped clamp is forced open by the centrifugal force, releasing the ball. The centrifugal force will now start to throw the heaviest part of the ball outward, thereby turning the detonator channel in line with the centerline of the projectile.
On impact, the ballistic cap is hammered inward, pushing the firing pin down (ripping it of the collar) into the detonator. This will set of the detonator, the booster (white) and the main charge.

5- The PGU-15/b Target Practice (TP)
Round weight: 667 grams
Projectile weight: 365 grams
Muzzle velocity: 1018 mtrs/sec

6- The PGU-14/b Armour Piercing Incendiary (API). This is the round housing the infamous Deplated Uranium (DU) penetrator.
Penetration of the projectile : 69 mm at 500 mtrs, 38 mm at 1000 mtrs
Round weight: 727 grams
Projectile weight: 425 grams
Muzzle velocity: 983 mtrs/sec

** This cutaway model has a mild steel fake core, it contains NO!! deplated uranium**

7- The APDS (armour Piercing Discarding Sabot) projectile. After leaving the barrel the white sabots are ripped off, only the core continues. The type with the white sabot is the older type and not currently in use

8- The MPDS (Missile Piercing Discarding Sabot). The later type of cartridge as in use now with the dutch navy. After piercing the target, the core braks into a cloud of smaller pieces that act as shrapnell. This in contrast to the APDS projectile that mainly remains in one piece.

Regards , DJH:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• 30x173.jpg
    30x173.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
I received some more info today about catridge No.8
Catridge No.8 is called FMPDS when in use with the Brittish navy between 1994 and 1998, however called MPDS when used with the dutch navy.
The official Dutch designation is: "Cartridge 30mm MPDS, MN30" (MN= Model Nederland 30)
The cartridge is currently being produced by Rheinmetall Waffen & Munition Schweiz AG ,the former Oerlikon Contraves AG.
Regards DJH

Glad you like it, I hope it contains all the info you were looking for.
Regards, Derk H.

A very interesting experimental cartridge I was asked to repair/improve/patch up for a fellow collector so regretably not mine- ; a GAU-8 30x173mm RAP-AP (Rocket Assisted Projectile-Armour Piercing)cartridge.

There were two competing designs, intended to improve short-range
penetration and achieve a longer effective range. One, by Thiokol (c.
1973), had the penetrator in the nose and the rocket behind, but this
was not considered successful. The successful one was by AAI (c.1976)
and this retained a central penetrator (longer than standard) running
almost the whole length of the projectile, with the rocket material
wrapped around it.

The AAI RAP has the penetrator supported in a monocoque steel shell.
The rocket is an "end-burner" vented through four nozzles in the base.
The windscreen (ballistic cap) is plastic."

The owner of the cartridge had received the following info:

The only mention of the GAU-8 RAP I have come across is in Dale
Davis' excellent 1984 publication "Historical Development Summary of
Automatic Cannon Calibre Ammunition: 20-30 Millimeter", published by
the US Air Force Armament Laboratory, where Davis worked.
There is a photo of the sectioned projectiles in
the book but sadly I only have a poor-quality photocopy so very little
detail can been seen. However, it is clear that the example in your
photo is the AAI RAP.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 30x173 GAU_8 RAP AP.JPG
    30x173 GAU_8 RAP AP.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 122
So that everyone can see the restoration skills Derk has, here's a BEFORE shot of the RAP round.

Attachments

• IMG_0487_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0487_edited-1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0511_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0511_edited-2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0511_edited-3.jpg
    IMG_0511_edited-3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0512_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0512_edited-1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 88
Derk

Sadly, I was a mere middle-man. Helped facilitate the transfer and shipment. One of the most convoluted deals I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Like you, I would have loved to have had permanent possession. Your handwork has made it the premier specimen of its type.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I can only hope the owner will sell it to me in the future. :tinysmile_cry_t2:
Little chance however, as he collects 30 x173mm himself.

By the way, I found a nice picture on the IAA forum of both types.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Scan20126.jpg
    Scan20126.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
Derk

If you can find just the right Jap. piece of ordnance, maybe you can work a trade. You know how he is about those sorts of items.:wink:

Well, we have Japanese restaurant in my town with a Japanese waitress, that the closest I'll be able to get in the range of some "tradable material". Japanese stuff is absolutely rare over here. The only two objects I ever had were a Japanese 20 mm shell with a long bottlenecked case, and a 5 cm mortar I cut and traded with him. The chance of getting Japanese stuff in the USA is much greater.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Well, I certainly hope she hasn't been sectioned. :O

Anyway, regarding the RAP round, yes, it's fantastically restored, and done so by one of the very few people I'd trust at doing so; thanks again DJ, you did a great job!
At this point in time it's still too precious to me to part with, but it certainly isn't going anywhere in a big hurry, unless something VERY special from the land of the rising sun is offered in exchange for it. :p

As for the provenance: it was bought (along with about 60 other 30x173 rounds; mostly GAU-8 ones) by me and two other collectors back in 2003. It has since taken many years to get them across. The Slickster has been golden in helping with this! Thanks a million, once more!

According to the seller, several years before selling them to us, he bought the collection of Dave Andrews. Some of the board members over here will be able to attest to the presence of some other very rare GAU-8s in that lot too. ;)

Then: on a matter DJ wrote: just how certain are you that ONLY the nomenclature is at variance between Dutch and British Goalkeeper rounds??? The common understanding is that the 'FMPDS' is 'F'rangible, and the MPDS is not! I always thought the both of them would be loaded mixed, so as to improve chances of blasting missiles out of the sky....

Cheers,
Olafo

30x173 Oerlikon APFSDS-T

Just got a very nice addition to the 30x173 collection, the Oerlikon (Rheinmetall) APFSDS-T.
It is used -for instance- in the 30 mm gun of the Spz 2000 (Afv).
The only thing I have been able to find on internet is the Swiss name : 30mm Spz kan.00 Pfeil pat. lsp. Any info about penetration and Vo. is welcome.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 30x173 Oerlikon APFSDS-T.jpg
    30x173 Oerlikon APFSDS-T.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Spz 2000 (Afv).jpg
    Spz 2000 (Afv).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
:
Just got a very nice addition to the 30x173 collection, the Oerlikon (Rheinmetall) APFSDS-T.
It is used -for instance- in the 30 mm gun of the Spz 2000 (Afv).
The only thing I have been able to find on internet is the Swiss name : 30mm Spz kan.00 Pfeil pat. lsp. Any info about penetration and Vo. is welcome.
Regards, DJH

What a fantastic round, thanks for showing it!
If you get a spare please let me know.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Dave.