What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordnance QF 3.7 inch anti aircraft gun

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
this manual is too early to include the 3.7inch anti tank round.

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 106
  • aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 95
  • aa3.jpg
    aa3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 162
  • aa4.jpg
    aa4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 122
  • aa5.jpg
    aa5.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 106
Here is a rather dark picture of one at fort Nelson, Fareham, Portsmouth.

Attachments

• Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 008.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 008.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 46
another view

Attachments

• Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 017.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 017.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18
3.7inch Mk6 Probert

for those who didn't see a photo of my Mk6 earlier in the year, here it is again! The Mk6 was the final attempt to enable the 3.7 to keep pace with aircraft technological advances in respect of height. It had a multi flanged main driving band and 2 forward, pre-rifled centering bands.

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 103
much higher velocity. The case was a fair bit larger than the standard 3.7 - larger even than a Mk8 4.5 naval case but necked in to 3.7. It was crimped over the lower driving band so that greater pressure was built up before 'take off'. I think the initial velocity was so great that it needed the centering bands to keep it correctly aligned in the barrel. Like 76mm Scorpion cases, once fired they won't hold a projectile so I have passed on the case. Dave

Probert ?

Hi Dave is that the "Probert" projectile or does it go under another name as I believe the "Probert" used only one pre fluted forward band !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

3.7 inch carrier crate box

hey there , in need of a little help , i went down an abandoned victorian ammunition magazine, and found this large ammunition chest turns out its a late war 3.7 inch carrier case for two H.E shells , all i can make out is some stencilling H.E and XVI, the colour looks like a light green , not sure if this is faded , unfortunately am going to have to have it sand blasted due to the large ammount of rust , so would like to restore it , would any one happen to know the original colour and maybe what the stencilling was , thanks so much for the help

picture.php
picture.php