What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q.F 3.7 inch Howitzer

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
this is a horse drawn gun and the manual also includes details of how to load the poor horse

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 71
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 84
  • h4.jpg
    h4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 82
  • h4a.jpg
    h4a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 176
  • h5.jpg
    h5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 125
shell cases 3.7 inch mk1 how ???

Hello
Recently on a car boot I acquired a brass artillery case dated 1940 it is 94mm in diameter and 902mm in length. I believe it could from a 3.7 inch mountain howitzer mk 1, is there any way i can check this out
yours
ron

It sounds more like the 3.7 Inch Aintiaircraft Gun by the length of the case. The 3.7 How. case is only about 3 inches tall.

The British 3.7"AA gun Mk1 case is 26.65" (676mm) long and has a 5.3" (135mm) Rim.

This case is obviously not for that.

Are there any marking on the head of the case?

This should probably be moved to a new thread so we don't Hijack Dave's thread

Case should be marked 3.7 in Howr

It looks like a very old gun by WW2 standards. Does anyone know if they were used much and in what context?

I picked up a case last year when I was looking through a box of old stuff a dealer was wanting rid of. The case next to it is a 2pdr.

PC

Attachments

• 2pdr & 3.7in HOW.JPG
    2pdr & 3.7in HOW.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.7in hdstp..JPG
    3.7in hdstp..JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 101
Hi Steilgr the Royal Marines were the last to use the 3.7 in British service at Walcheren in November ,1944 the story goes a German sniper was holding up the advance into Flushing ,the gunners couldnt get a clear shot without them been in the line of fire ,so they dismantled the gun [ i think the gun was originally design to be broke into 5 ? pieses of 200lb a piece to be put on mules] took the pieces into a house , rebuilt it in the front bedroom and dealt with the sniper ,after 8 rounds the gun was hanging through the floor
I think the Pakistani still used them postwar .My old doctor has one ,which he holds on a firearms licence and regularly fires ,hes featured in the Sept /OCT 2004 issue of the Armourer ,Dave

My old doctor has one ,which he holds on a firearms licence and regularly fires ,hes featured in the Sept /OCT 2004 issue of the Armourer ,Dave

Yes I remember now, it was the beetroot gun as part of John Carlin's article.
Thank you for the info Dave.

PC

Hi PC just caught up with this post ,i like your 3.7" case ,ive found 3 this year for my doctor and all have been Indian manufacture and before that ive been looking for 7 years and never found any at a reasonable price ,iam still searching for a projectile for him and when asking a few dealers always get the same "youll be luck" response regards Dave

Dave....can you tell where my case was manufactured.

Also what is a reasonable price for this case?

PC

Hi Pc iam no expert but RL is Royal Laboratories , Woolwich,dont know about the B ,CF is Cordite Full charge .Now the price ive paid between 10 to20 for them this year but i dont know if this is good ,fair ,or expensive .regards Dave

I originally thought RLB stood for Royal LaBoratories Woolwich, but it is actually ROF Birtley, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. The factory is still there and was operational until recently but has been mothballed since 2003 I believe.

Dave
Thank you for the info.

If I ever see a projectile I will let you know. I just like the case because it is a good size for a pen holder on my desk.

PC

Thanks Falcon for putting me right ,as i said iam no expert on the subject i thought the B might have been a sub contractor to Woolwich regards Dave

Here's a case, with 1924 date and smothered with stamps. Picked up in a car boot sale recently.

Tony

Attachments

• 3.7in howitzer case a.jpg
    3.7in howitzer case a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.7in howitzer case b.jpg
    3.7in howitzer case b.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17