What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"AG/C" & "PP/C" Canadian makers - WW2 Bofors 40x311R cases

Darkman

Hi,

AG/C and PP/C are common Canadian maker monograms found on WW2 40mm Bofors headstamps (both Mk 2 and Mk 4 cases) here in Australia. Does anyone know any details about these manufacturers? (Name and location?)

Maker's details for large calibre stuff is not that easy to find.

What about British makers "ET" and "B"? These are not so common cases - unlike ECC (Edward Curran, Cardiff) and RLB (Royal Laboratory, Woolwich) which make up the bulk of cases found here up until we got our own production of Mk 4 shells going (eg MC & MD) in about 1943.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

Makers

AG/C is the Aluminium Goods Co. Ltd., Ottawa.
PP/C is Pedlar People Ltd, Canada.
ET is Ericsson Telephones Ltd, Beeston.
B is (probably) British Diecasting Ltd, although there were other manufacturers allocated the "B" code also.
Bryce Ltd, Stackbridge
Burne Bros, London SE1
"B" was also allocated to Birkbys Ltd, Liversedge, Yorks., but they produced plastic/bakellite pistol and bayonet grips and switches.

For the non Aussies,
MC is the Ammunition Factory, Finsbury, South Australia.
MD is the Ammunition Factory, Derwent Park, Tasmania.

One small correction, RLB is Royal Ordnance Factory, Birtley.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Tony,

Thanks for the prompt and accurate reply!
Also for correcting me on RLB - maybe I assumed this from "RL" seen on WW1 18 Pndr cases?

Regards,

Graeme

RL

No problem, glad to help.

RL on its own is Royal Labs, Woolwich,
RLB is Birtley.

Regards
TonyE

Tony ,

Ive got 'British Die Castings' listed as supplying Die Castings and the others supplying fuzes . Although Bryce had an alternative monogram of B. Ltd for other than time fuzes. However, experience has shown that my lists arent totally accurate. Furthermore, it is possible that it was an unlisted company that manufactured the cases. None of those shown appear to have the capability or capacity to produce medium size cases.

B = British Die Castings Co. Ltd. (D. C.).

B = Birkbys, Ltd. (Plastics). Liversedge, Yorkshire. "Elo, Liversedge". Heckmondwike 514/515.

B = Bryce, Ltd. (221 Fuzes). Manufacturing, electrical engineers. 190 London Road, Hackbridge, Wallington. Surrey. Wallington 2604

B Ltd = Bryce, Ltd. (Other than Time Fuze).

B = Burns Bros. (117 Fuzes), Drainage and Sanitary Engineers, 6, Stamford St. Blackfriars, SE1.

E.T. = Ericsson Telephones, Ltd. Telephone manufacturers. Beeston, Nottingham.
Ericsson, Beeston Beeston 54225

Regards

Tim. G.

EB

Tim, are you saying that Ericsson Telephones monogram is actually "EB" (Ericsson, Beeston?) I have other cases with EB stamped and had always assumed that this was for Eley Brothers, London. I obtained this info from small arms ammo headstamp lists.

Also, in retrospect, upon close examination of the relevant case in good light, the "B" monogram I mentioned could possibly be EB with the E polished out. The stamp is very feint at best and the case has been overpolished (it was very cheap!). This may explain why you could not give a definitive response for a "B" manufacturer of suitable medium calibre ordnance.
Thanks, Graeme

I think Tim's post simply means that "Ericssons Beeston" was their telegraphic address.

If you are talking WW2 cases, then you will not find any Eley Bros. Eley had been absorbed into the Kynoch/Explosive Trades/ICI organisation after WWI and the Eley name was only used for shotshells and rimfire ammunition.

In WW2 EB was allocated to:

E.Boyce & Co.
Earle Bourne, Birmingham
The Burgess Co., U.S.A.

Unfortunately I do not know what each company made.

Tim?

Regards
TonyE

My apologies, "E.T." is the monogram for Ericssons and "Ericssons, Beeston" as Tony states is their telegraphic address.

Sorry, can't assist with the "E.B." companies, I'll have to do some research there.

Regards

Tim. G.

case makers

joining in but new to this so appologies if reqd for format and protocols etc but thanks for makers given as has filled in a coulpe of spaces and will add, I have:

B as Birmingham Metals & Munitions Co Ltd
BD as Hall's Telegraph Co Burghfield.

KN is ROF Kings Norton but why on some of their stamps is another letter in the monogram? what does that indicate?