What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown German (bomb)Fuze

Hello Ben! my pictures are the same as yours! amusingly. I do not believe that the fuzes for bombs for anti-submarine warfare am! a SD-10 for a submarine?:hmmmm2: Harry

Hey Harry - I'm just thinking aloud!!

Not sure what the thickness of material used on a U-boat was but damage to a balast tank would cause a submarine to surface. Wasn't suggesting that a SD10 would sink it!!
What other underwater targets are there?
Hmmmmm!

regards
Kev

Could it be an Air Pressure actuated fuze for above ground detonation. Many experiments were made towards the end of the war amd I myself are searching for these designs. I have not seen one up till now. May be you can judge by the strength of the springs the pressure needed for actuation.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Hi All,

Just my ten cents worth, Water does not compress, energy released by even a small bomb would have a devastating effect on a sub at close range, there is a formula you can use which will give you the increase in energy/pressure compared with the same amount of explosive material as used in air. Barnes Wallace used the principle on the Ruhr dams. Depth Charges use the same principle.

All the Best.
Richard

Hallo,
I just remembered the german name for the airpressure actuated fuze. It's "STAUDRUCKZUENDER" , literally it translates to "Jam Pressure Fuze". (There is a british design with a Belleville spring that acts in this way. What would be the proper english designation for a fuze like this ? I don't think that "Jam Pressure" is the right translation.) I have seen no design specifications of this type of german fuze, only the name mentioned in late war documents. Has anyone here seen any documentation on this type of fuze ? Any hint would be much appreciated. The 4 holes in the top body of the above pictured fuze and its construction lead one to think about air or liquid pressure actuation. In other documents a "AZ 9501" fuze for 2cm shells is mentioned, with 4 holes for liquid pressure actuation, that was experimented with at Rechlin. I also have never seen this.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Staudruck = dynamic pressure.
Hallo EOD,
that's good, but I'm not completely satisfied with that translation. It does not really translate the meaning of "Staudruck". That's why I love the german language, because it often is so precise. "Staudruck" is the pressure that builds up in front of the falling bomb, so a fuze can be adjusted by the strength of its springs to release the firing pin when a certain level of pressure is reached, but in opposition to a barometric fuze that just reacts on the surrounding air pressure the "Staudruckznder" reacts on the "jammed" up column of air just below it. It will allways be a headfuze. There have to be some english language buffs here who can come up with a better translation.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

May fit the theme!

Attachments

• Bild.jpg
    Bild.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Bild (2).jpg
    Bild (2).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Bild (3).jpg
    Bild (3).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 57
Hallo Fusee2004,
your photos are very nice examples of the "Dust Fuze". These are electric fuzes and completely different from the purely mechanical fuze that Ben posted. But thanks for showing these nice pictures, which I have not seen in such detail before.
regards,
Bellifortis.