What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown German (bomb)Fuze

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello, i hope that somebody can help me to find any information about this fuze, the fuze has a ring in the middle that you can turn, if you turn the ring you can arm the fuze, on the body you see Scharf and Sicher, the fuze will fit on the SD 10, i think that the fuze has been used for water targets like Uboats, but again i am not sure, i hope that somebody can help me. Thanks Ben

Attachments

• bombuis1.jpg
    bombuis1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Bombuis.jpg
    Bombuis.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 206
Hi Ben
Thats an interesting Fuze i hav,nt come across one like it before any history that may shed some light on it?

This looks like a hydrostatic fuze,looking by the holes and the membrane.
I think this is a fuze later than WWII.Will look in to it.

Hi Ben,

Are there no markings whatsoever on the fuze? It certainly looks a very nice collectible!:tinysmile_grin_t:

best

waff

I think its for SD10 bombs, used agaist sea targets, but i am not sure i cannot find any information, many thanks everybody for trying, regards Ben

I don't know anything about it but just wonder; SD10 is a relatively small cluster bomb. What kind of operational use it would have had against sea targets? With a membrane fuze the bomb detonates below water surface with reduced splitter effect?

I know, but the fuze is only fitting on SD 10 bombs, so far we can only come up with sea targets, if you have other ideas let me know

Correct Ben, as far as I understand bomb fuzes this type is for use at sea and it makes me wonder. As we don't know if it is WW2 or post war fuze, could it possibly be for some quite other post war bomb? Any markings found on it would have brought light in the tunnel.

The only text on the fuze is sicher, thats all, i found the fuze in UK, it was in a box with all kind of German fuzes, all experimental, the man that had them told me that all the fuzes in the box were taken to the UK in 1946, all the fuzes came from the test area Hillersleben, for me it is for sure that this fuze is WW2, no doubt, i realy would like to know were the fuze is for.

Hallo Ben !
I have pictures of this fuze, with the text her from Hillersleben to come and experimental am for the SD-10. Otherwise no info. Harry

I don't know anything about it but just wonder; SD10 is a relatively small cluster bomb. What kind of operational use it would have had against sea targets? With a membrane fuze the bomb detonates below water surface with reduced splitter effect?

Surely the only possible target in that case would be anti-submarine. Dropping a quantity of sub-munitions onto a diving submarine would have more chance of hitting the target. But then how effective is the SD 10 at puncturing underwater??(as Tmine35 has already suggested)

Maybe as Ben says experimental and did not go any further for this reason.

-pure guesswork-
regards
Kev

Hello Ben! my pictures are the same as yours! amusingly. I do not believe that the fuzes for bombs for anti-submarine warfare am! a SD-10 for a submarine?:hmmmm2: Harry