What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How about a 20mm Bofors Corkscrew?

ordnance

Premium Member
I've had this piece for a couple years and have always wondered if it was an actual projectile converted to a corkscrew or just made up by the factory as a sales item and not an actual identifiable projectile type.

It was given to someone working in the War Department by a Bofors rep. during WWII. The tip seems to be an actual fuze body as it has internal steps and threads as well as an external set screw. The body is quite thick through the wall and the rear projection that looks like a tracer is turned steel and without a cavity in the bottom to actually hold tracer chemicals.

I'm primarily a collector of grenades and other ordnance and don't have much reference material on projectiles like this. I'm particularly unfamiliar with 20mm bullets with a forward copper obturation band like this one has. So what do our 20mm experts have to say? Is this a real projo? Is there an official model designation? Know what gun it might have been produced for? Thanks for any replies.

Rick

PICT0147.JPG

PICT0148.JPG

PICT0149.JPG

Hi, very nice item.
This about covers what you want to know.
Taken from the excellent reference book by W.D. de Hek "Military Cartridges part 3".
Dave.

Attachments

• Bofors 20mm 001.jpg
    Bofors 20mm 001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Bofors 20mm 002.jpg
    Bofors 20mm 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45
This nice corkscrew is somekind of gift and it is a real projectile.
Here are some pictures from swedish ammo registers from 1949 and 1942
it is called sprljussprnggranat m/40 (slsgr m/40)

Attachments

• IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the quick responses guys. That answers the question.

The steel surfaces on it appear to have a wash of silver plating, so that's a bit more fancy than the loaded rounds would have been. :tinysmile_shy_t: It's too nice an item as-is to think about restoring as a cartridge and will continue to open bottles of chianti in my kitchen. I have a number of other trench art items like L/60 Bofors shell and grenade lamps, etc., all of which provide light and spice up the decor in my den.

Does anyone know if this was a common salesman's sample gift or something unusual? Any in collections of other members?