What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TEA rockets

E-tech

During the Vietnam War, a study was undertaken at Edgwood Arsenal in Maryland which came up with a compilation of energy requirements for defeating various targets using radiated heat. This led to the development of the filler known as TPA (thickened pyrophoric agent)- a mixture of polyisobutalene and tri-ethyl aluminum, which gave what was called a "new kill mechanism" referred to as the "controlled fireball", and the weapon that carried it- the M74 rocket in the M202 "flash" system. I have found copies of the briefing on the report (but not the report itself) online.
It shows that a 105mm and a 152mm rocket were developed as well, but I can find nothing further on them.
Anyone ever hear of them?

Sounds interesting, but I haven't heard anything about larger TPA filled rockets either. Hopefully, someone else has some additional info.

In case some haven't seen the 66mm TPA rocket for the M202A1 Flash launcher, here's a photo of one in a friend's collection:

PICT0122.JPG

And here is mine displayed with the M202A1 4-tube launcher at at gun show a couple years ago:

Flame%20Thrower%20Photos%20005.jpg

Beautiful Examples! Thanks for the pictures.
I wish they would field these things- fire is the one thing current enemies seem to be afraid of.
Just re-read the study and a few patents related to this weapon. Interesting effect. It was developed after the army found that to destroy a square centimeter of seasoned oak took 1 calorie of heat for 60 seconds, but, if you applied 4 calories of heat to the square centimeter of oak, it would be destroyed in one second. Napalm fireballs appearantly only produce about 2 calories per square centimeter. The fireball this rocket produced would generate 6 calories per second. A "flash burning" effect similar to what happens with nuclear weapons. And, since the fireball goes around corners, you can't hide from it like you could with shrapnel, or blast.
It would be worth carrying that heavy launcher if you could end an engagement with a single shot from the thing............

6 of these were brought to my unit (VN), an instructor came with them, so to the range we went. After the instruction he picked up one, aimed and pulled the trigger - misfire on the first and third. But the other 2 fired, personally I wasn't that impressed with the results. We fired 2 LAWs right after the first test shot which did just fine. Then we fired 2 more of the M 202's. All fired - but compared to the weight and size vs the results no one in the platoon was crazy about them. But the company CO said we had to take them on the next patrol and use them if we could and called for. Nice fight to see who got to carry them. But after some meeting of the minds we talked the CO into us just taking 2. As usual we made contact, minor engagement - as we laid down fire the guy carrying the 202 let loose with all four rockets aimed some where in the general area of the VC. Contact was broke, we radioed in the event and were told to make an assessment of the 202 result. We found where they hit, but minor blast damage and some burnt area, but since this was the rainy season everything was pretty wet. Rest of the patrol was uneventful, but when we got back and pasted the 202 on to another squad they went to test it and all four rockets failed to fire, we assume they got wet. To me the LAW was better, I didn't see them after that. But years later when I was teaching ground ord at EOD school it was one we taught. Don't think it it around any more nor had a very long service life.

I know when I was stationed at Graf in Germany we cleaned up several of them on a range. I was really surprised to find a couple still intact. Looking at the design I thought that if one did dud it would crack open and leak out the material. After finding one, I figured that's it I will never see one again in my life, but low and behold same range we found several more.

The demo shots were fun since we used very little explosives so we cold see the fire effects. still produce fire ...

Joe

"Controlled fireballs - Effective kill mechanisms for flammable targets" AD 785 691
and
"Field Calorimetry Studies"
A search on the DTIC website will provide the PDF documents I found that launched my interest.
(Filling an ammo can with MOGAS, wrapping it with 50' of detcord, and a nonel detonator, and throwing it through the window of an old house to flush insurgents, notwithstanding....)

I conducted a surveillance test on this system in the Tropic Test Center (TTC) in the Canal Zone when I was assigned down there 1973-1976 From my memories, all our rockets fired from the M74 launcher and functioned on impact with the target. I remember seeing a piece of paper in each ammo case telling us to fill in that paper (a firing report) and send it to MACV VN. Since we were out of VN I figured it would not get there anyway. There should be a final report the was sent to, IIRC Army Material Command or whoever was the Higher Command of TTC at that time.