What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some 37 mm rounds

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
Some 37's.

I am actually only sure about one match between projectile and case (the Winchester).

Anybody have a source for fuses?:vroam:

Attachments

• 37mm.jpg
    37mm.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 37mm II.jpg
    37mm II.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 93
  • headstamps.jpg
    headstamps.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 68
Here is a 37mm case shot. I bought this ages ago from a catalog.

It is
l: 100mm
w: 514 gms.
Measured dia.: 36.8mm
On base: "H" within a triangle
On side: AM. O. Co. (American Ordnance Company. Presumably from their Lynn Mass. factory)
Date: 1896-1902

I wonder which casing it might go with. Any ideas?

Attachments

• case side.jpg
    case side.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 26
  • case base.jpg
    case base.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Are the last two shells (the longest case ones) the M4 /M10 US 37mm of the type used in airacobra aircraft and patrol boats?

Who manufactured the one with "WNY" in the headstamp?

The casing was made by the Washington Navy Yard. If (I say IF) the projectile is the one that went with the casing, it was made by the Toledo Screw Products Company. For what it is worth, the projectile has naval inspection markings.

Are the last two shells (the longest case ones) the M4 /M10 US 37mm of the type used in airacobra aircraft and patrol boats?

No, they are both ca. 1900 and for a QF gun of some kind. I haven't quite gotten that far with them yet.

Your 37mm types

The two right had projectiles are 1 pdr. subcaliber types, the one you mention as having Navy markings if dated 1917 is in the correct case. The Navy reloaded cases and older cases can be found on later projectiles. The Driggs 37x136r case was loaded with a Driggs projectile which is base fused and flat tipped common shell, these can be early 1890s Navy issue or commercial export. I will attach the picture of the subcaliber cannon as used. I have posted a discussion of U.S. Navy subcaliber projectiles on the Projectiles section, if you can find it it should help.

Attachments

• Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 43
  • Drigss.jpg
    Drigss.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 24
U.S.N. 37x136r Subcal Gun

as mounted

Attachments

• USNsubcal 37x136r 1pdr.jpg
    USNsubcal 37x136r 1pdr.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 23
The two right had projectiles are 1 pdr. subcaliber types, the one you mention as having Navy markings if dated 1917 is in the correct case. The Navy reloaded cases and older cases can be found on later projectiles. The Driggs 37x136r case was loaded with a Driggs projectile which is base fused and flat tipped common shell, these can be early 1890s Navy issue or commercial export. I will attach the picture of the subcaliber cannon as used. I have posted a discussion of U.S. Navy subcaliber projectiles on the Projectiles section, if you can find it it should help.

Hi, and thanks.

D:17-THE TOLEDO SCREW PRODUCTS CO - 1-PDR.MK.V.-

E (far right): 1-PDR.T.MK.V. B.S.CO. LOT 26 CON. 9-8-13 (Anchor in center)