What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 4000lb HE Bombs photo

ramc181

I thought I'd post this, as the official caption claims it shows a number of US 4000lb HE bombs at Sharnbrook AAF Ordnance Depot in England in July 1943 (more than six months before most sources state they were shipped over from the USA to the UK).

roadstores.jpg

There seem to be an awful lot of them under the camouflage covers in the background too........ ;)

TTFN,
Paul

Thanks Waff,

The interesting thing about these 400lb bombs is they were never used in combat in WWII, certainly not in the ETO anyhow.
The B-24 and the B-17 could only carry them on the external underwing hardpoints at greatly reduced range.
I've got a mere three more photo's from the Sharnbrook Ordnance Depot, but they'll have to wait until I finish my research into the site (plans and records en-route from PRO Kew and Beds County Archive at present).

All the best,
PB

Last edited:

Hello! This picture in my documents found. Also is US 4000lb????

Attachments

• a27a.jpg
    a27a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 73
US 4000 lb. bomb

Here another one.

Attachments

• 4000 lb Light Case Bomb.jpg
    4000 lb Light Case Bomb.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 52