What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ELAZ C50 Brass Fuze with (Inert) Gaine pot.

waffenamt

Here is one for the `Fuziliers` amongst us!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

One that arrived this week that im very,very happy with!
Brass ELAZ C50. All free and moveable pins,oiled them for good measure.
Lovely,crisp markings.
Cost a fortune as i was trying to sniff out a suspected `sniper` but i ended up with it!
I couldnt care less though as you have to hold this in your hand to appreciate the condition.
I hope the photo`s do it justice?

best

waff

Attachments

• S7003582.jpg
    S7003582.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 88
  • S7003580.jpg
    S7003580.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 61
Early Bird catches worm and all that

well done on that latest purchase,a pure gem.

Regards phil

Thanks Phil,

In the last couple of years ive been collecting these fuzes,there has been a lot of hard graft with long hours both working and early starts to hunt them down.Plus there has been a lot of,as Lieutenant Archer in Steve`s video says, "Luck,Luck,Luck!"

best regards

waff

Very nice fuze Waff, what were the arrow triangle markings on the gain as i have seen an S-Mine marked up with this, anyone know the factory code.

I believe this sort of fuze was later re-worked and re-stamped as number 28 as these early versions had too much delay on impact?

Can anyone please confirm this?

cheers

waff

Why Brass ?

Hi Waff, any idea why they used Brass instead of the usual Aluminium ?

Superb item !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Hi Paul
The original (5) fuze before 1936 were made of brass the delay was found to be too long so they were reworked and restamped (28) the number being * out after this year they were made of ali

Probably the reason they first used brass , and this is my idea only is that Rheinmetall had been producing artillery fuzes , for years which were usually made of brass, so all their expertise in working with brass, they decided to use on the newly developed bomb fuzes , which Herr Rhulleman had just designed. also these early fuzes were all going to be used in the 50Kg bombs so they were stamped C50 in their desigination Ie ELAZ C50 (* (28)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for info !

Hi Steve many thanks for that information-it did seem odd that they would use an expensive and "dense" material as the cost must have been enormous !

Are there many of these fuzes around or are they very rare ?

Hi Chris
The brass (5) and Brass (28) are very rare fuzes, although they do come up for sale they usually go for very high prices.typically from 120 up to a few hundred pounds .As ebay appear not to allow perfectly legal to own fuzes ,on the auction site perhaps one day the prices might stabalise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brass Fuze.

Hi Chris
The brass (5) and Brass (28) are very rare fuzes, although they do come up for sale they usually go for very high prices.typically from 120 up to a few hundred pounds .

Thanks Steve interesting to note the price also !

Hi Chris
its interesting to note what ebayers and others call rare in their adverts here are some production figures for just some Fuzes
EIAZ (15) was made from 1937 to 1940 and 1.6 million were made
EIAZ (25) made in 9 variations from 1940 2.2 million produced
EIAZ(55) 1940 to 1942 Qty produced 840,000
EIAZ(55) A 1940 to 1942 qty made 250,000

Quantity !

Hi Chris
its interesting to note what ebayers and others call rare in their adverts here are some production figures for just some Fuzes
EIAZ (15) was made from 1937 to 1940 and 1.6 million were made
EIAZ (25) made in 9 variations from 1940 2.2 million produced
EIAZ(55) 1940 to 1942 Qty produced 840,000
EIAZ(55) A 1940 to 1942 qty made 250,000

Good grief Steve, that is a huge amount of fuzes by any standards even mind boggling, the sheer weight of metal invovled must have gone to thousands of tons !
Thanks for that.

Yes,Thank you very much Steve for additional info on the fuze.

It would be good to find a type 28 to display alongside it,i can only cross my fingers!

best

waff

Really nice fuze Waff, it looks nowhere near as old as it is.

A bit like me!:bigsmile:

I may display this one soon in my 50kg bomb case if i can sort out some nice locking and locating rings.

best

waff

Last edited: