What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L1A4 Vent tube

Falcon

I have a vent tube in the style of the Challenger tank vent tube, but it is dated 1979, which is too early for the Challenger. Which gun system used this?

I posted this in projectiles because I didn't really know where else to put it.

The headstamp is: RG PZ 79 L1A4

Picture please !

Hi Falcon, any chance of a picture as that may just reveal something ?
Cheers

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

This tube's dimesnsions, case material (brass) and primer are all identical to the one used in the gun on the challenger, it is only the date that is a bit early.

Pre production ?

Interesting Falcon as it is an early date as you say !

The only thing I could think of was that it might be an early pre-production item but then it would have either had no headstamp or an experimental one ie XL1E4 or similar ?
Cannot think of any other weapon of the era that used this vent tube.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
used with the chieftain
attatched image shows my example marked L1A4 RG 81

Attachments

• l1a4tubeDSC00066.jpg
    l1a4tubeDSC00066.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 64
  • l1a4tubeDSC00067.jpg
    l1a4tubeDSC00067.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks Spotter.

Does anyone have any idea what the "PZ" on mine stands for?

Isn't there also a larger one of these for use with an earlier gun system?

Electric ?

Falcon
May be a silly question but, your version is an electric contact firing circuit round ?
PZ may be "Piezo" which is why I ask if it is electrically initiated the same as the standard cases ?

I have one with headstamp L1A4 RG 76 ZW.
Also a picture of the magazine that held these.

Attachments

• bocn 008.JPG
    bocn 008.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
I also wondered if "PZ" was "peizo", but then remembered I had seen other letters.

Interesting photo of the magazine weasel.

Does anyone have any idea how these look when they are live, can anyone post a cutaway drawing of one?

Also, could anyone post a photo of the breech block on the Challenger gun where the device that fires these will be?

I dont have a drawing of the L1A4 but i do have one of the L4A2 similar set up but 2 part construction

Attachments

• l4a2screenshot.jpg
    l4a2screenshot.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 94
Thanks spotter, I was most interested in how they are closed. Is that one slightly smaller than the L1A4? It syas "13mm" on the drawing, and the OD of mine is 16.4mm,

Thinking about it, I think these would be legal to posess live, as they are a blank cartridge of less than 1" Calibre.

heres some 76 dated zz in 78 packing .:wink:

Attachments

• DSC04961.jpg
    DSC04961.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04962.jpg
    DSC04962.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
1 inch = 25.4mm
13mm = 0.511811024 inches
so 13mm is just over half an inch