What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Us 4.5 inch rocket info please.

tigbrand

Premium Member
Have any members any info on these please ww2 era? Ie dimensions and fuse type please.Many thanks Tony.

Tony,

I have quite a bit of information on WWII U.S. 4.5" rockets but need to know what type you are seeking data on. The fin stabilized M8 type, the spin stabilized M16 style, or the Navy 4.5" barrage rockets fired off landing barges and International Harvester rocket trucks? Narrow it down a bit and I'll see what I can find.

4.5 Rocket

I have some info from the TM 9-1900 Ammunition General and I could show a couple of photos of the M16 and M8A1 I have.Let me know?

Attachments

• scan (600 x 431).jpg
    scan (600 x 431).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Cheers chaps for the replies the rocket in question is the landing craft launched version. i have the remains of 1(inert) body and venturi and what i think is the correct fuse? I will post pics at the weekend and give a bit of background info.(cheers weasel!!)..Tony

pics.

Pics attatched of rocket parts and other relics. All these were used in the pre D Day training exercises around Slapton/Torcross area. This was Live firing practice! All items shown are inert. Thanks to Weasel for access to this area.Tony:tinysmile_grin_t:

Fuze Rocket M4A2

Just won on Ebay,gonna post it in cutaways too.Hope it fits with what youre lookin for,,,,,

Attachments

• shell4a.jpg
    shell4a.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 41
  • shell4b.jpg
    shell4b.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 36
  • shell4d.jpg
    shell4d.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 26
Lou,

Nice fuze but I don't think that's what was used with the Naval barrage type rockets. The M4A2 type was used with the 4.5" M8 type folding fin rocket.

This isn't a great photo but shows the correct type of fuze. It's a Mk 37 or Mk 137 (sorry, can't remember without looking it up). It has an open wind vane like a bomb fuze.

PICT0279.JPG

I can't recognize anything from the recovered metal in Tony's photos other than the fuze base on the right of his first photo of 4 items. That looks like the steel base of an M51 series artillery fuze without the sheet metal ogive. The only rocket that type of fuze would have been used with would be the late war M16 type spin stabilized varieties but the rest of the parts don't look like M16 chunks. If I get time I'll get the manuals out and study things a little harder.

Cheers guys,another pic that might help.Is the fuse here correct?:tinysmile_grin_t:

Correct ORD.Although I dont know squat about the navy stuff.Sure would be nice if there was some mint motor parts in all those pics wouldnt it?Talk about a neet cutaway that would be.

Hi Lou,the only internals left were some rotted perforated tube from the rocket motor. I just like these as relics. They would have been used in the pre D day training of American troops in this area using live ammo. This ultimately ended in a tragedy with the attack of Landing craft by German E boats at night,with the Landing craft laden with GIs. Try the link to find out more,cheers Tony. http://www.slapton.org/indextiger.htm

Here a drawing and the text for the 4.5" barage rocket.

Attachments

• 4.5 inch barage.jpg
    4.5 inch barage.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 43
  • text.jpg
    text.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 18
Some more drawings. Hope this is of help.

Attachments

• 4.5 inch barage.jpg
    4.5 inch barage.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.5 inch barage motor.jpg
    4.5 inch barage motor.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.5 inch barage text.jpg
    4.5 inch barage text.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 19