Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: WWI Landmines

Thanks

WWI Landmines

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for info and pictures about the landmines used during the first world war (any country, any theatre).
    Could You help me ?

Thanks
    Stecol

Thanks
    Anybody knows ?
    Is there a website on this argument ?

Ciao
    Stecol

Premium Member
    Thanks
    There wasn't landmines in the inventory during the first world war as such, as compared to ready available stocks and types like the second world war. Most types of mine were trench made from HE shells, improvised etc. The types of so called land mines during this time were more booby trap orientated. The Germans were renowned for booby trapping evacuated trenches. The concept of the land mine came about with the advent of the tank although the idea of the land mine came way before. The thinking and lessons learned from this, developed more between the wars especially by the Germans who were the masters of mine warfare and booby trapping during the second world war.
    Good book to look at is the Malice Aforethought by Ian Jones.

Premium Member
    Thanks

WW1 Landmines

Hi Stecol only placed ive seen mention WW1 mines is in a book called The History of Landmines by Mike Croll [ISBN0 85052 628 0] Published 1998. It basically says AP mines werent used a lot due to barbed wire and the effects of massed artillery and machine guns . When AP mines were used they were usually made out of Artillery shells with pressure fuses fitted buried in the ground or left behind in trenches after a retreat with a timed fuse .The Germans used the same methods after the British introduced tanks ,just upped the shell size to deal with the tanks Later on both sides developed AT mines which basically were wooden boxes filled with explosive and a pressure fuse.Hope this helps regards Dave

Thanks
    Thanks Guys,

But I have already read both books that you have kindly advised me. I need details, reports, photos on the field, in order to identify the typical mines of WWI.

Can You help me?

Thanks
    Stecol

HONORED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Wink hi, stecol

i'll send you a pm concerning that. please be patient, it will last a few days.

Thanks
    Semper Paratus, Sudelmuk

Thank You
    stecol