What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 in Howitzer projectile

MG34NZ

Picked this up in a garage sale years ago 4.5 in Shrapnel?? is some one able to enlighten me as to what fuze this takes and what does a compleate one look like? Theres not much in the way of markings due to rust pitting other than a few broad arrow stamps and a few letters on the body, base markings are much better, appears to be 1916 dated.
Love to pick up the missing bits if you have anything??
regards
MG34NZ

Attachments

• Nb 028 (Custom).jpg
    Nb 028 (Custom).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Nb 029 (Custom).jpg
    Nb 029 (Custom).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 41
4.5 How Shrapnel body !

Hi MG34NZ
I think you mean one of these !

Yes it is a 4.5 Inch Howitzer Shrapnel shell with the top missing just like mine was.
As for the fuze I believe it was a Number 80 Time fuze (Pyrotechnic time).

Someone here will confirm that if I am right.

Trick is finding the top part of the shell which on detonation gets thrown forward with all the laed balls.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• 4 5 in how sharap.JPG
    4 5 in how sharap.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 34
4.5in

Hi
Your 4.5in Shrapnel shell Howitzer
Official Fuze T&P n82 only used on
T&P N83 can be used on

doctor, has that shell been cleaned by sand blasting? We have a sand blaster at work, it is extremely useful. It brings even completley rusted items back to bare metal with a pitted surface.

Picture off 4.5in Shrapnel How

Great pic, thanks for the replys so far, I must say they look great complete. I had no idea there was another steel peice missing off the projectile. Im dead keen to complete it now having at last seen the whole thing.
Regards
Andrew MG34NZ