What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 calibre shell

leeski

hi all bought this off ebay the other day looks like some sort of apds round has anyone got any info about it please the numbers on the base of the case are K 69 L11A2

regards lee

Attachments

• 50 cal 001.jpg
    50 cal 001.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 48
  • 50 cal 002.jpg
    50 cal 002.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 53
SLAP = Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, used in the M2HB machine gun. Designed to defeat light armored targets and armored attack helicopters (AAH) out to 500 meters, app. 1/2 mile. The sabot is made of high stenghth plastic and has an aluminum insert at the base. It breaks up at the muzzle and releases the .30 Caliber tungsten steel projectile.

or

SLAP-T = Saboted Light Armor PenetratorTracer used in the M2HB machine gun. Designed to defeat light armored targets and armored attack helicopters (AAH) out to 500 meters, app. 1/2 mile. The Red Sabot (for tracer) is made of high stenghth plastic and has an aluminum insert at the base. It breaks up at the muzzle and releases the .30 caliber tungsten steel projectile.

Last edited:
Slap

Not at all sure how genuine this is. The SLAP rounds were a US develoment and are usually found on Winchester cases. The case for this round is an old Kynoch case from 1969 (long before SLAP) made for the L11A2 spotting round for the Chieftain tank gun.

If anyone can come up with any provenance for who loaded SLAP type bullets in old Kynoch cases I would be pleased to hear of it.

Regards
TonyE

Here some pics of the Americam .50 slap and .50 slap-tracer.

Attachments

• Cartridge .50 SLAP.JPG
    Cartridge .50 SLAP.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Cartridge .50 SLAP cutaway.JPG
    Cartridge .50 SLAP cutaway.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Cartridge .50 SLAP tracer cutaway.JPG
    Cartridge .50 SLAP tracer cutaway.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 23
Here is a photo from another forum of some sectioned .50 BMG SLAP rounds (second and third from left). I believe there was also a 7.62x51 version made.

mvc-001x.jpg

50 slap

The clear plastic sabot is commercially made in the state of Utah and takes a30 cal sub bullet,soft pt,hollow pt.etc.The military sabot holds a larger diameter T/C sub projo,and they will fit in any 50 case.I do have both 30 and 50 empty sabots if any body needs a few.Sincerely APDSAZ:tinysmile_classes_t

.50cal Sabots

I have tried those blue coloured .50 cal sabots with 220gn HPBT Sierra MatchKing projectiles in my .50BMG bolt action rifle, but found they broke up between the muzzle & muzzle break causing the projectile to keyhole @ 100mm. I loaded them into all sorts of cases but only used the 220gn projs. What projectile is in the pitured rnd? Might be one of mine?