Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Images
    Thanks

50 calibre shell

hi all bought this off ebay the other day looks like some sort of apds round has anyone got any info about it please the numbers on the base of the case are K 69 L11A2

regards lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Thanks
    SLAP = Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, used in the M2HB machine gun. Designed to defeat light armored targets and armored attack helicopters (AAH) out to 500 meters, app. 1/2 mile. The sabot is made of high stenghth plastic and has an aluminum insert at the base. It breaks up at the muzzle and releases the .30 Caliber tungsten steel projectile.

or

SLAP-T = Saboted Light Armor PenetratorTracer used in the M2HB machine gun. Designed to defeat light armored targets and armored attack helicopters (AAH) out to 500 meters, app. 1/2 mile. The Red Sabot (for tracer) is made of high stenghth plastic and has an aluminum insert at the base. It breaks up at the muzzle and releases the .30 caliber tungsten steel projectile.
    Last edited by jayteepee_1999; 21st November 2008 at 09:04 PM.
    All Items of Live Ordnance posted by me have been disposed of professionally by EOD. Unless they are Archive Pictures from another Webpage

Images
    Thanks
    thanx for the info jayteepee great stuff

regards lee

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Thanks
    New to me but interesting
    All Items of Live Ordnance posted by me have been disposed of professionally by EOD. Unless they are Archive Pictures from another Webpage

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    It is also used in AIMTEST sub calibre devices for 105 and 120mm Tank guns.
    Any live or ordnance "in the wild" shown in my posts have been dealt with by appropriately trained EOD personnel.

"Put your trust in God, my boys, but keep your powder dry" - Oliver Cromwell

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Slap

Not at all sure how genuine this is. The SLAP rounds were a US develoment and are usually found on Winchester cases. The case for this round is an old Kynoch case from 1969 (long before SLAP) made for the L11A2 spotting round for the Chieftain tank gun.

If anyone can come up with any provenance for who loaded SLAP type bullets in old Kynoch cases I would be pleased to hear of it.

Regards
    TonyE

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here some pics of the Americam .50 slap and .50 slap-tracer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Thanks
    Here is a photo from another forum of some sectioned .50 BMG SLAP rounds (second and third from left). I believe there was also a 7.62x51 version made.

Thanks

50 slap

The clear plastic sabot is commercially made in the state of Utah and takes a30 cal sub bullet,soft pt,hollow pt.etc.The military sabot holds a larger diameter T/C sub projo,and they will fit in any 50 case.I do have both 30 and 50 empty sabots if any body needs a few.Sincerely APDSAZ

Thanks

.50cal Sabots

I have tried those blue coloured .50 cal sabots with 220gn HPBT Sierra MatchKing projectiles in my .50BMG bolt action rifle, but found they broke up between the muzzle & muzzle break causing the projectile to keyhole @ 100mm. I loaded them into all sorts of cases but only used the 220gn projs. What projectile is in the pitured rnd? Might be one of mine?