What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Z.s.u.m.W.M.

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
Well, sorta.

Mentioned this in another post, it was used as an inkwell(!). Bought it for $100.

One band identifies it as Z.s.u.m.W.M.

The nose markings, however, say: Z.musch.W.M.

The times go from 7 to 25 but the Z.s.u.m. is supposed to go only to 21.

A patische?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Nose.jpg
    Nose.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Marks1.jpg
    Marks1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Marks2.jpg
    Marks2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 50
Popped open the bottom and it appears that it is entirely lead filled. It looks like a pretty neat job too.

Is it possible that they took 1916 dated fuses, gutted them, filled them with lead and then replaced the nose with a piece that signified that it was a practice fuse with a 1917 date? That is to say, is it reasonable to assume that these pieces actually do go together?

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 28
ZsumWM

Hi
Your fuze is an inkwell, as you supposed it.
Zs.u.m. WM is for Znder Schwerer und Mittlerer Wurfmine
It exists increased from 21 till 25 seconds and even it shall exist a version in 45 seconds time
different name on top:
Z s.u.m. WM; Z s. WM; Z m. WM; Z m. u. sch. WM Sch (for Schwerer : Load Mortar 25 cm)

Hello Birdeyes
I join you an extract of the "Manuel d'Artillerie allemande 1918" It is seen that this fuze carried many names
2n21a4h.jpg

A plus
Jean Paul

Yes Ed
It's exactly it .Following the manufacturer or the years, the fuzes wore a different name
Jean Paul

Salut Ed :hmmmm2:
I understands your doubts, but If on resumes name of this fuze Z. m.u. Sch. W.M and what we refer to German ammunition terminology on could translate name of this fuze as it.
Z = zunder = fuze
m = mittlere – medium
u = und = and
Sch = Schrapnell = shrapnel
WM = WurfMine = trench mortar
The name wants to say nothing on the other hand if Sch = to schwer heavy (or schwer = s or S ) , it is better but that does not correspond to a statutory marking of time
To show that the markings are not an exact science
We find on some ammunitions the mention = bungen = exercice (in french) = exercise

I join you a picture of a german fuze

212sfb5.jpg

You will notice that the name begins with EX it means Exerciren = exercise = bungen Why ? can be not to confuse it with him u = und (a fuze it's small), I have no explanation, if the other members of the forum have the answer ?

A plus
Jean Paul

Last edited:
Oups
Sch is Schwerer (LOAD in english)
Schrapnel don't exist with Minen Werfer 25cm and 17cm

Stamping

bung is for training and is used in gun with reduced HE and generaly Smoke charge
Ex is for manipulation of fuze an loading, Not to be fired
Sch on the fuze is realy for schwerer
Schranel 17 an 25 cm WurfMine don't exist....