What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pair of German FLAK40's

RichardB

Premium Member
Pair of German 12,8cm FLAK40's

I haven't posted in a while due to a few "techincal" difficulties.....and for the same reason haven't acquired much either.

I did however pick up a second 12,8cm Flak40 case recently to pair up with my spare 12,8cm Pzgr43. As they are pretty impressive rounds, I thought they'd be worth a show.

First picture shows the new case and projectile
Second picture shows both 12,8cm Flak40's with Pzgr's and for scale, a German 7,5cm Kwk40 with Pzgr39 as used in the Panzer IV for example.

Of course if anyone has a Pak44 Case, 165x869, Id be happy to swap an entire round :) (worth the ask!!)

If anyone else has any 12,8cm rounds please post....Im sure we'd all love to see.

Rich

Attachments

• German Flak40 with Pzgr43.jpg
    German Flak40 with Pzgr43.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 157
  • German Flak40 and Kwk40.jpg
    German Flak40 and Kwk40.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Impressive !

Hi Richard thanks for sharing those pictures, as you say they are "quite impressive" to say the least !

The poor little KWK40 is dwarfed by the 12.8 rounds.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Hi Richard,
Great to see you back old chap!
Yes,those new rounds you have look whoppers!,thanks for showing them.:tinysmile_grin_t:

cheers

waff

So can anyone absolutely confirm which projectile were used with which 12,8cm cases

ie is the FLAK40 case and Pzgr43 projectile actually a valid round? ...I must admit, Im not certain it is.

Rich

Now i thought that Stielgranate or Quatermass would be on this one Rich?

I will ask Mick for you to see if he has any info?

waff

Last edited:
Hi Rich
I was waiting to see if anyone else came up with the answer but I see Waff has forced my hand :tinysmile_grin_t:.

Problem is I don't have definitive documental evidence but the Flak 40 used both the 12.8cm Pzgr and the Pzgr43.

Why has one of the projectiles got a white tip?

PC

According to Ian V. Hogg in German Artillery of World War Two the 12.8cm Flak 40 used the '12.8cm Pzgr Patr Flak 40', This was a capped round rather than CBC.

I think your 12.8cm Pzgr 43 projectiles were only used with the 12.8cm K44/Pak44/KwK44.

StielGr, what evidence do you have for the Pzgr 43 being used with the 12.8cm Flak 40?

Quatermass.

Hi Chaps,
No, the case wasn't purchased at Bisley, it was SA, although I guess that doesnt mean it wasnt at Bisley. Its far from perfect, but also far from common, so I figured id pick it up.

As for the Pzgr43, Im fairly certain I've read somewhere that its a valid round, but have no evidence whatsoever....so could just be delusion talking.

I do know the Flak40 definitely used an APC round ie w/o the BC, but not so certain about the APCBC.

Was definitely used with the PAK44 as Q said.....anyone else have any info?

Rich

Hi yes the case was for sale at Bisley, I had a good look at it myself. Keith P had it for sale on his stall and then put it on SA when it didn't sell.
Dave.

Here's a couple of pictures of the correct projectile - I've posted these before in the sectioned part of the forum.
Dave.

Attachments

• 12.8 APC.jpg
    12.8 APC.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 12.8 sectioned  front.jpg
    12.8 sectioned front.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 96