What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 incendairy BZ

BZ

As you titled your thread "Incendiary BZ" I assume that the headstamp is "K 1940 BZ".

This is the only year that the headstamp appears and in fact the correct nomenclature is "Incendiary B Mark IVZ*". At the beginning of WW2 Britain needed as much incendiary ammunition as possible for the RAF and the normal Incendiary B Mark IV was not available in sufficient numbers. The Government therefore purchased what where known as "Trade Pattern" incendiaries from Kynoch and gave them the designation B.IVz*.

There were two headstamps, this one and another "K 39 VII.B." with a dark blue tip.

Here are the two rounds compared with a norml B Mark IV. Note the differing positions of the shoulder of the projectile.

I have not seen one with a knurled cannelure before though.

Regards
TonyE

BIVTrade.jpg

BZ

Is the BZ round in your initial photograph the same one as in the last picture you posted? The knurled cannelure is not visible in the second picture.
Also, I noticed that the links in the first picture are not Browning links, which made me wonder if theye were different rounds.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Is the BZ round in your initial photograph the same one as in the last picture you posted? The knurled cannelure is not visible in the second picture.
Also, I noticed that the links in the first picture are not Browning links, which made me wonder if theye were different rounds.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE

The links are for sure browning links, i think its an optical ilusion.
the second pic has indeed NO knurled cannelure and is a different one indeed.
here some more info, and a closeup of the links.
are the so rare?

BZ

Thanks for the pictures. I have a copy of that Kynoch drawing myself.

Those links are the Mark I whilst the first ones are Mark II. I did not realise that when I asked the question.

I would describe those rounds as scarce rather than rare. There used to be quite a few around but these days it would be quite hard to find one. How many do you have?

regards
TonyE

Thanks for the pictures. I have a copy of that Kynoch drawing myself.

Those links are the Mark I whilst the first ones are Mark II. I did not realise that when I asked the question.

I would describe those rounds as scarce rather than rare. There used to be quite a few around but these days it would be quite hard to find one. How many do you have?

regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE, ill have a check about the quantity with the knurled cannelure.

Last edited:
Hi , Silly question but Im curious as I have never seen these before, were Incendiary rounds standard issue? I guess these being linked were used by the RAF ?
I had heard of there use during WWI against Zepplins but keen to hear a little more on there useage during WWII

Regards
MG34NZ

Incendiaries

Incendiaries were used in their millions by the RAF. During WW2 there were three types used, the B Mark IV and IVz that have been discussed here (with the stepped bullet), The B Mark VI which is often erroneously called the De Wilde, and the B Mark VII.

The B.VIz was the first non phosphorous incendiary and used SR 365 as the active filling. The earliest rounds has a small hole in the nose filled with solder to aid ignition, but it was found to be unecessary and so the bulk were made without this. It came into service in 1940.

The B.VIIz was an improved version of the B.VI and was also filled with SR365 mixture. It came into service in late 1941 and the initial rounds were loaded into B.VI cases, but can be identified by the blunter bullet nose.

The incendiaries were usually linked with tracer and AP rounds, but loading in fighters was a matter of personal preference. Some pilots liked to have one gun loaded with 100% incendiaries whilst others preferred it in mixed belts. Although .303 Brownings continued to be used in bomber turrets right through to the end of the war, the fighters progresssively moved to 20mm wing guns from 1941 onwards.

After the war there was no requirement for any .303 incendiary ammuntion.

Hope this (very) brief resume helps,
Regards
TonyE