What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guided .50 cal bullets

V40, those US thermobarics I remember now would have been full scale aircraft bombs and there is also a submunition named BLU-73/B but I do not know when it got adopted.

Those napalm bombs had WP initiators, I am not sure if this will work with FAEs at all.

As said my knowledge is very limited and the little I know is mostly on Soviet and eastern stuff.

The BLU-72's were a FAE device -a fuel tank ruptured by an explosion, then the fuel cloud detonated by small "cloud detonator" charges (about 30 grams of H.E.).
Thermobaric charges are single-event weapons (no cloud forms that is then detonated by a second charge). Thermobaric explosives are usually fuel (aluminum powder) rich explosive mixtures that have a weak peak pressure, but a longer pressure-over-time strength (which is more dangerous to people, and buildings).
Using White phosphorous in a FAE device would not work- an actual detonation is needed to get the cloud of fuel to detonate, too. Otherwise- all you would get is a fireball, and no real increase in pressure.