What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gaine No.11

bloome

Hi all!

I need to know what the exact threaddimension is in the center of
this gaine.
(To construct a dummy-screw out of messing.)
Any help is welcome.

Regards,

Bloome.

Bloome,

Do you have access to reasonably accurate measuring device such as vernier calipers?
If so measure the ID of the internal hole. Also, measure the distance between four crests of the thread. I'll calculate it from there. The thread will be 'Whitworth form' which I suspect will be somewhat scarce your side of the channel. It is just possible, if it is a standard size I might have a die.

Regards

Tim. G.

Bloome,

Do you have access to reasonably accurate measuring device such as vernier calipers?
If so measure the ID of the internal hole. Also, measure the distance between four crests of the thread. I'll calculate it from there. The thread will be 'Whitworth form' which I suspect will be somewhat scarce your side of the channel. It is just possible, if it is a standard size I might have a die.

Regards

Tim. G.

Thanks TimG ! i will take a measure.
Whitworth i also think, but thismust be written somewere i think?
germans also did.
pics follow in the morning!

Thanks,

Bloome.

No. 11 gaine Thread

Bloome,

The thread is: 24TPI (threads per inch) 55 degree thread form (same as 3/16 & 7/32 Whitworth), thread depth is 0.0267in, OD (outside diameter) of the screw in piece is 0.544in.

Good luck in trying to find a die to suit, it is easy enough to get someone with a lathe to turn you up one.

I have included a pic of what it looks like.

Hope this all helps,

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 76
I have a cutaway model at home . I'll take the dimensions when I am home tonight,
Regards DJH

Bloome,

The thread is: 24TPI (threads per inch) 55 degree thread form (same as 3/16 & 7/32 Whitworth), thread depth is 0.0267in, OD (outside diameter) of the screw in piece is 0.544in.

Good luck in trying to find a die to suit, it is easy enough to get someone with a lathe to turn you up one.

Hope this all helps,

Regards Ozzi.

Hi ozziammo!

The lathe is already here!! the 0.544in i can not get 100%

Bloome,

Hope this all helps,

Regards Ozzi.

Ozzi, is it correct that the "dim" of the threadet inside hole is 0.500" ??

Thanks.

Bloome.

Bloome,

If the diameter of the screw is 0.544" the theoretical core diameter of the screw would be 0.4906". Naturally, the female threaded part needs to be larger to prevent binding. However, the best part of 10 thou on such a small item does seem a bit excessive.

Regards

Tim. G.

No.11 Gaine.

Bloome,

The outside diameter of the screw in piece you want to make was measured at 0.544inch if you subtract 2 x thread depth (.0267+.0267=.0534") from this it should give you a hole diameter of 0.4906".

Measure the hole diameter in the gaine & see how close it is to this. It should be the same unless there were changes to the gaine design here in Australia. It would be a different mark then. A MkIII instead of MkI maybe.

Hope this is not too confusing. we work both metric & imperial here!

Regards Ozzi.

No.11 Gaine

Yes as Tim has correctly pointed out there should be a little slop or movement in the thread to stop binding, the ones I have are relatively sloppy & screw in quite easily.

Basically you have the female threaded hole in the gaine & you need to make the screw that fits into it, this can be custom made to fit the threaded hole in the gaine!

Good luck again,

Regards Ozzi.

Bloome,

NO!

9/16" = 0.625. UNEF has an included angle of 60 deg, whereas Whitworth has an included angle of 55 deg. Essentially what you need is a 35/64" 24tpi Whitworth die - but you're not going to find one. But,having said that, you could try Tracy's Tools in Devon who have all manner of weird and wonderful taps and dies. Your best bet is to use a lathe with a Whitworth threading tool.

See diags

Regards

Tim. G.

Attachments

• bsw.jpg
    bsw.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 800px-ISO_and_UTS_Thread_Dimensions.jpg
    800px-ISO_and_UTS_Thread_Dimensions.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OQF 4.5-inch Gun - Shell HE Mks Ic & IIc