What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Working Zus 40

satan18

After buying this seized up Zus 40
i decided to take it to bits and get it working .

The firing arm that presses against main fuse gaine
had snapped of,so i drilled into the bolt that goes across
the zus body and let it back in a bit deeper.

I freed up the anti removal claws and took the main
firing spring out and replaced it for a pen spring which
still allows the bolt to fire but without to much strain
on the repaired arm.

Attachments

• Fuses 025.jpg
    Fuses 025.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 166
  • Fuses 026.jpg
    Fuses 026.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 150
Hello ,i know the zus 40 was used with the 17 fuze,,but could it in theory be used with any fuze
thanks spotter
ps im sure theres a post with more on the zus40 but i cant find can someone tell me where it is

I dont see a reason why it couldnt have been used with any other fuze?
No point with a direct impact i suppose,but maybe with a `Y` fuze or similar?

cheers

waff

Hi allan
The ZUS 40 could as you say be used under any ECR fuze , but it was really was to be used under the (17) along with the anti disturbance no (50) fuze and for some reason was used on the 250kg bombs in the main, extremely rare in the 1,000Kg Hermanns only i believe 4 ever found in that bomb.
Steve

Paul the reason behind the y fuze was to kill the officer trying to defuze the bomb , the Zus40 was to detonate the bomb.
Steve

Paul the reason behind the y fuze was to kill the officer trying to defuze the bomb , the Zus40 was to detonate the bomb.
Steve

Oh aye,im aware of that but just imagine that if the `Y` was de-fuzed and then lifted out and there was a ZuS40 underneath?.....:tinysmile_angry_t:

waff

it could be said if 2 Xzus40 were under the (17) and under the (50)

Hello ,i know the zus 40 was used with the 17 fuze,,but could it in theory be used with any fuze
thanks spotter
ps im sure theres a post with more on the zus40 but i cant find can someone tell me where it is

I recall reading in a book that a string of SD250 fell in Birmingham all fitted with 55 fuses, they all failed to explode and all were fitted with zusat40.
I think it was just a case of leaving charge caps off so the 55 wasnt armed as it left the plane. this was found on the 1st discovered UxB as the casing had broken on impact.
I seem to recall reading similar with SC50, but cant see how as the fuze pocket wasnt deep enough!

I recall reading in a book that a string of SD250 fell in Birmingham all fitted with 55 fuses, they all failed to explode and all were fitted with zusat40.
I think it was just a case of leaving charge caps off so the 55 wasnt armed as it left the plane. this was found on the 1st discovered UxB as the casing had broken on impact.
I seem to recall reading similar with SC50, but cant see how as the fuze pocket wasnt deep enough!

Nice one Nismo,Any more of these little gems?

cheers

waff