What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 inch navel round

leeski

hi all picked up this Naval 1 inch Aiming Rifle round today some of the stamps on the case have been crossed out what the reason for this

regards lee:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 95
The case was Originally made by The Morris Patent Tube Co., Dagenham, East London as a Mark Vm. Meaning mark 5 with some aspects specific to Morris Co. It looks to have been reloaded by the Royal Laboratories at Woolwich to a Mark 1 Cordite round, which would have been percussion primed. The punch mark and "I*" indicates it was converted again to a Mark I* round, which may have been electric primed.

Aiming Tube Mark VM

The Aiming Tube Mark VM was loaded with 400 grns RFG2 Black powder and was approved in August 1903. The "M" of the Mark number denotes the primer was the Morris patent which was screw fitted as opposed to the press fit primer of the Mark IV.

When converted to the Cordite Mark I it was loaded with 160 grns Cordite Size 3. The Mark I Cordite round was approved in June 1913 and was electric primed, not percussion.

Regards
TonyE