What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody have a lathe?

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I need about a 4" length of 14mm round steel stock. Here, of course, the closest I can get is 1/2" (a good solid measure, that) just too small though.

So to get what I need I have to rely on the interwebs.

Anybody?

14 mm round steel bar is European standard, if you don't get it anywhere closer to yourself drop me a PM and I'll get it for you here in Finland.

I know. It's amazing that I have to go to this extreme to get a piece. I thank you for your kind offer and may take you up on it. I am going to try one or two ideas that I have had this week. If they don't produce results, I will be back to you.

Thanks again.

Problem is that I am not buying industrial quantities. Also, I could go to a machine shop but god knows what their hourly rate is.

I'll take a look for you tomorrow. I think I may have it as rolled bar.
Regards DJH

thank you.

Watch: this time next week I'll have 5 metric tons of the stuff and will have a corner on the lucrative Hotchkiss Cap Pin market.:party:

1655405063_c669e84a38.jpg

I give you ... The Metric Horde!!!

(BTW, did you know that that was David Hemmings???)

For the correct diameter piece of steel I will tell you, otherwise it is your risk.:biggrin:

Picture is from Gladiator, BTW.

Last edited:
If this is for the Hotchkiss gun, I take it is was all made with Metric measurements. Must have really given them a headache at Bridgeport in 1896.

I think that there is a mix of metric and "correct" ;) measurements.

The wheels were subbed out and I sort of doubt that all the sizes wre converted ... then again ....

Hey Birdseye..
Saw your post... a bit late...but I've got a lathe and can cut you a pin if needed... should be a quick five minute job.... PM me
Cheers!
Charlie

14mm is very close to 9/16th of an inch, obout 0.011" under the imperial, i dont know where you are, but metric and imperial legnths of silver steel can be bought in most countrys, i;e in the Uk and US, which is quite machinable in a lathe.
Mick W

14mm is very close to 9/16th of an inch, obout 0.011" under the imperial, i dont know where you are, but metric and imperial legnths of silver steel can be bought in most countrys, i;e in the Uk and US, which is quite machinable in a lathe.
Mick W

My dear, dear friend ... if I had a lathe ...

;)

As it is anything over 1/2 in. won't fit in my drill press.

ALERT!!!

It appears that a kind member from the great state of Washington will be doing some high end metric machining!!!!

Stay tuned.

Mick W MIDiag.E

9/16 is 0.011" larger than 14mm! silver steel is available in all contries in metric and imperial, in 13" legnths and in its untempered state is fully machinable or threadable.:tinysmile_angry_t: try J & L Industrial in the US

Last edited: