What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Sabot German

SG500

Premium Member
Hi please would someone tell me what the correct case is that goes with this. What is the correct case length?
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• 105 sabot AA German Nov 05.jpg
    105 sabot AA German Nov 05.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 136
Nice one DJH,
Photo comes from WK2Ammo site and is from Mr DJH

Attachments

• 105-88_he_sabot__proj___shellcase_ger_ww2_experimental.jpg
    105-88_he_sabot__proj___shellcase_ger_ww2_experimental.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 92
Hi many thanks to you both for the information.
You have surprised me. I know little about German munitions but had (incorrectly) assumed that the groove around the base of the projectile was to crimp it into a longer shell case such as the 766mm long 10.5cm flak 38 and 39 or even the 1034mm 10.5cm experimental flak round.
Why bother with a saboted round with such a short case? Couldn't they get the same range by using a longer case and a normal projectile?
Dave.

Hi , I don't know why this groove is there . There are many more types of German WW2 shells which have one or two grooves , although they are not connected to a shellcase. Take for instance the 12,8cm APHE for the PAK 44 which has two grooves; this because the same basic projectile is used on the Flak shellcase (where it is connected) with another piercing cap. Same for the 10 cm Pzgr. and the 5 cm Rochling shells (one groove).
Why however this was done on an experimental projectile which is designed from scratch , I don't know.
I had a german description ( send to me by Greif) that stated that these shells were udsed in the LeFh18.
For use in the 10.5cm flak the lower sabot would probably be too light, observing the gas pressures used there, a double drivingband would be more suitable.

Thanks again DJH. Good information and the explanation about the rear sabot makes sense. Thanks Lee, yes its a good one.
Dave.