What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 in. 200 Pr. ML Trench Howitzer

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
Can't seem to find a reference to this beast. Anyone familiar with it?

Attachments

• IMG_5051.JPG
    IMG_5051.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 64
11 in.

Do we know if it was taken into service or just a one-off that was not adopted?

Regards
TonyE

I cannot say.

It does not appear in the Osprey book on Brit WW1 artillery, it does not pop when you do a Google search, the book does not appear in any search that I have yet done.

As I said, the book looks "custom" in that the pages of text are typed and the pictures are real photos tipped in.

There is a distribution list pasted on the front flyleaf, an image of which is below.

The only date is on the distribution list and is July 15, 1918. There is no indication as to who owned this particular copy. Nor are there any prefatory notes, introduction nor copyright nor edition number.

Nothing really that serves to identify the book.

Attachments

• IMG_5055.JPG
    IMG_5055.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 35
11 in.

It looks to me like a proposal from Armstrongs for a new Trench Mortar, especially given the distribution list, Currie - Canadian Corps, Trench Warfare Dept, American Expeditionary Force etc., touting for business.

Also, given the date of July 1918, it probably never got further than a proposal and a prototype. Certainly by August Amiens had been won and we were into the "Hundred Days" of open warfare. No-one was going to order large numbers of heavy mortars when it looked like trench warfare was over - which it was.

Regards
TonyE

Yes. There is more text and a picture of the casing. What are you looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_5053.JPG
    IMG_5053.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 61
11in

Hi
I think you 've found the doc off rare experimental Sutton Trench Mortar 11 in
See in America's munitions plate82

Dunno. I think that it is different. Take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_5051a.jpg
    IMG_5051a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5057.JPG
    IMG_5057.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 41
  • ScreenShot013.jpg
    ScreenShot013.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 45
11 in

Yes, but see the technology off " pivot for driving" and the tail of the bomb,certainly not the same but strangely similar?
It's the reason why i say it could be an experimemtal or evolved system
The caliber and weight is also similar
Never seen diagram of Sutton trench bomb and i know only the posted pictures here
Difficult to find diagram...but this bomb is sometimes notified and not discribe

6885.jpg

http://www2.hsp.org/collections/manuscripts/brill/images/6885.htm

Not it ...

"Vickers and Armstrong Whitworth both submitted large-calibre, rifled breech-loaders which were described as 'finely made pieces of ordnance'. The Vickers had a calibre of 9.2 in while the Armstrong Whitworth was a monster of 11 in. The Armstrong Whitworth mortar was trialled but found to be no more accurate than the 9.45 in already in service and since the projectile weighed 200 lb, which was far too heavy, no further action was taken. The Vickers was not even given a trial."

Weapons of the trench war 1814-1918. Anthony Saunders

My guess is that the photographs, as doctor suggests, are developments of the same weapon.

Quatermass.

Very interesting and I think that you nailed it.

This weapon underwent trials (as reported in the book) a year before production of the book.

Sort of a "last gasp" and interesting from that standpoint if no other.

Looks like

one version is launched on an inserted tail rod and the other is loaded in a more conventional way ? We had heavy trench mortar batteries that I think fired something like the latter.

The one in this book uses a studded projectile that is muzzle loaded. The charge is in a modified casing.

Boy, if either the projectile or the casing showed up a collector would be pulling his hair out trying to ID them.

Last edited:
I found this site

These "Flying Pigs" were in service. But the projectile might be somewhat different.

I found this web site and image;

Results

The Trench Mortar Batteries of 1914-1918

Postcard illustration of a crew loading a heavy trench mortar. ... to previous page; The British artillery weapons of WW1 ... GHQ; Armies; Corps; British Divisions; Australian Divisions; Canadian ...

In the previous image with the projectile standing up, it looks like there is an American made 75mm projectile, you can make out the double grooves below the drive band, no fuse, for comparison I guess.

Attachments

• trenchmortar_loading.jpg
    trenchmortar_loading.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
11-inch = 280 mm. I wonder whether this is a British copy of a French 28 cm mortar. That's how they got the 9.45 inch, from the French 240 mm. You'll see the breech looks just like the French 240 mm trench morter, with vertical sliding block.
Rod