What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate time clock

satan18

Another of my weaknesses is historical pocket
watches.

This one is a London made pair case verge movement
watch which hallmarks dates to 1787.

It was in need of a full restoration as it hadnt run for a long time.
The hand peircings are simply superb as these were part of the features
of watchmaking back then.

You can see swans or such like birds on the balance wheel gaurd
and plenty of engravings elswere.

Attachments

• More mechanical interests 001.jpg
    More mechanical interests 001.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4
  • More mechanical interests 004.jpg
    More mechanical interests 004.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 5
  • More mechanical interests 005.jpg
    More mechanical interests 005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 13
  • More mechanical interests 002.jpg
    More mechanical interests 002.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice one Phil,
Im due to put a bar in a blokes house this January who lives near me and he also collects these fine watches.I recall he said his pride of collection was from around a similar date to yours?
I shall take the trusty camera and get some shots for you if required?

cheers

waff

My old Gun smith you to collect Pocket watches and historic Cameras

Sounds good to me mate
see if he has any chiming watches called repeaters as they are an absolute mint.

Best phil

Tonight i had to give them a once a month wind up and i wound

76 watches and three failed to start,sticky movements time

so they will have to go with the 17 clocks.

Best phil

Hi Phil
I love digital clocks , when i worked in the Hospital our department were tasked with replacing the battries and setting the time pieces in the hospital it used to take 2 days to do .
I still have a lovely 1930 mantle clock which i love the sound of also a Jfeder 21 day demolision timer made by Jurghens , i try to keep going.
Steve

Hi I'm not a collector of watches, in fact I don't even wear one but I thought this would interest you.
The watch in the photo was brought back from France in WW1 by a great great uncle. It was given to my Grandad who took it with him throughout WW2. He was in France, evacuated from Dunkirk, captured in Singapore and worked on the Burma railway construction and died there. The watch was hidden in a box and recovered after the war by one of his mates who returned it to my Gran. It gets wound once a year and still works perfectly!! The wrist strap (nothing to do with the watch) shown next to it is interesting, he wore it throughout his capture and this too was returned after the war - the hole where the buckle is shows a wrist measurement of 6.5 inches - wrists get quite thin in such environments!!
If any watch experts out there can give me a bit more information on the watch it would be appreciated - there is an arrow and number on the back of it.
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• Watch 0011.JPG
    Watch 0011.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Watch 0021.JPG
    Watch 0021.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Watch 0031.JPG
    Watch 0031.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi Phil
Im sure ive seen a Elgin watch collectors site somewhere , i seen elgin watches for sale on ebay
Steve

Might as well join in--- Long Case Clock

I have this , I took it on a bad debt many years ago, dated March 24, 1779 (clock, not the debt - or was it ?). I can't get a good full length shot. Needs a tune up though and a part.
I forgot, this needs a Military connection --- Well it was a Militaria Dealer that owed me !

Attachments

• IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6934.JPG
    IMG_6934.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi I'm not a collector of watches, in fact I don't even wear one but I thought this would interest you.
The watch in the photo was brought back from France in WW1 by a great great uncle. It was given to my Grandad who took it with him throughout WW2. He was in France, evacuated from Dunkirk, captured in Singapore and worked on the Burma railway construction and died there. The watch was hidden in a box and recovered after the war by one of his mates who returned it to my Gran. It gets wound once a year and still works perfectly!! The wrist strap (nothing to do with the watch) shown next to it is interesting, he wore it throughout his capture and this too was returned after the war - the hole where the buckle is shows a wrist measurement of 6.5 inches - wrists get quite thin in such environments!!
If any watch experts out there can give me a bit more information on the watch it would be appreciated - there is an arrow and number on the back of it.
Thanks.
Dave.
Hi Dave
What a nice story to go with the watch.
The watch is an American made Elgin.
and dates from roughly the early part of the twentieth century say 1900 1910.
Elgin and Waltham watch companys made time pieces for the US govenment so this might have been swapped or won at cards or a present
to your grandad from american troops in france,as i have no record of the states making watches for our goverment.
Although i cannot explain the crows foot on the back there may have been
some small quantities supplied to the Uk,but we were one of the leading watch making countries back then,so there wasnt any need.

From value point of veiw it is not overly expensive,but it is priceless with the backing of family history.
In WW1 it was common practise to have pocket watches worn on the wrist by way of a large watch cover attached to a strap hense you can see how the modern wrist watch evolved.

Thanks for showing it to me and keep it safe for it already has volumes
to tell.

Best Phil

Hi Phil
I love digital clocks , when i worked in the Hospital our department were tasked with replacing the battries and setting the time pieces in the hospital it used to take 2 days to do .
I still have a lovely 1930 mantle clock which i love the sound of also a Jfeder 21 day demolision timer made by Jurghens , i try to keep going.
Steve
Hi Steve
Mantle clocks are always nice as it is the heart beat of the home.
I have a walnut cased 15inch dial clock from charring cross station waiting room,and it has a london maker on the dial followed by the date of 1900.

You can hear and feel the tick upstairs.

Best phil

No Excuses needed to post a lovely long case like that on.

They can be high maintenance but the pinnacle of clock movements
stands in that case,and for 200+ years old is better than money in the bank.

Thanks for showing it to us

Best phil

Thanks.
Dave.
Buy the end of the war when the allies were entering Germany
my father exchanged some cigarettes and bread,and for that a German family gave him this watch.
It has no real watch value except for the fact that he had it engraved
and gave it to his father upon his de mob in 1946.
My grandfather had no real liking for it as of his resulting gassing in the trenches all he brought home was chronic lung complaints,so some years
later he gave it back to my father and my father has given it to me.
It is another peice of time that realy has seen only hardships but
as it was passed from generation onwards it is invaluable.

Attachments

• More mechanical interests 015.jpg
    More mechanical interests 015.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 5
  • More mechanical interests 014.jpg
    More mechanical interests 014.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
  • More mechanical interests 016.jpg
    More mechanical interests 016.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 5
  • More mechanical interests 017.jpg
    More mechanical interests 017.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the info - watches seem to be something that have a story to tell. I wonder how the digital ones will be in a few years!!??!!
Dave.