Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Express rifles

Yes, they were actually issued in the trenches in limited numbers. As I said in the previous post, they were not very popular with the troops though for the reasons stated.

They were principally used to penetrate German sniper shields which were impervious to the normal .303 ball. Even if the express rounds did not penetrate, can yo imagine being behind one when it was hit by a .500 or .600 nitro express!

They were all FMJ bullets, some of which had strengthened jackets that had originally been designed for penetrating the skulls of large African game.

Regards
    TonyE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrickoshae View Post
    hi Tony, are you saying that the troops were issued with large game calibre weapons? for what purpose were they used - other than to impress the enemy? Presumably they had FMJs. Dave
    Dave, you need to get hold of a copy of "Land Service Small Arms", Part 3 of the excellent series on "British Secondary Small Arms 1914-1919", as this not only details the big-game guns issued but also their ammunition.

Incidentally, it's by a certain TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

Thanks

You are too kind. Thank you.

Regards
    TonyE

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Awesome! Thanks for that Tonys (E @ W). I bet an awful lot of enthusiasts don't know that. dave

Thanks
    On the bigger side of a .700 Nitro, I just acquired a 2-bore shell case made by Holland & Holland. It is a REWA marked case & I have been told it was custom made for an Indian Maharaja. All I need to do is track down or fabricate a suitable .955 head!!!

On the totally ridiculous side of that is a 1.3 inch 2 bore for which some funny stories exist. One relates to a gun called 'baby' used to hunt Elephant. The owner only fired it 20 times and describes it as 'spinning him round like a top', he quotes 'I was not sure who was more stunned, me or the Elephant'.

BOCN Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    Just a couple more.
    .700 nitro express
    .500 Rafiki
    I feel sorry for the poor elephant with one of these comming their way!
    Both INERT and legal to own, no cores or soft points etc.
    Dave.
    A cored bullet is illegal?
    "in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    -- Harry Lime

FSA SCOT

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks

2 bore

Wardenc - Rewa was a well known Calcutta gunsmith who also designed the scarce .577 REWA, which was a .600 NE necked down to .577.

If your round has a .995 bullet (not "head" please!) then it is a 4 bore. As you said later in your post the 2 bore is about 1.3" calibre.

I have never fired a 2 bore, but have fired a 4 bore. Interesting! However, as it was a blackpowder load it tends to push backwards rather that violently kick. If one leans well into it it is not too bad with nothing worse than a broken shoulder!

Regards
    TonyE

Thanks
    Hi guys, New member here. That's quite right, the .500 Rafiki is a big old badger! I was fortunate enough to have worked for Westley Richards, 1996 - 2007. When the Rafiki was first test fired, it shook the windows at the adjacent Birmingham University, and people thought a bomb had gone off!! I fired a few rounds personally, but standing, not from the test bench. Recoil was heavy but managable, and I am only a little guy! A few years further into my career there we built a .700/.577 N.E, in which I fitted the lockwork, this was an even bigger badger!!, lobbing a 900grain bullet. All very good fun!

Thanks
    Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but I have a 600/.577 REWA round with the headstamp of .577 REWA (at 12 o'clock) K (at 6 o'clock), any ideas what period this would have been manufactured. If it makes any difference it has a GM/lead soft point bullet. Any comments would be most welcome. Regards John P

Thanks
    Rewa is a city in Madhya Pradesh State in India and the Maharajah of Rewa ordered a double rifle in this calibre from Holland & Holland in the 1920's.
    My later empty box is dated 250652 so was loaded in 1952. Cartridges are found with solid, soft nose & WR capped projectiles all made by Kynoch.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

John P (1st September 2021), reccetrooper (26th August 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12