What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ELAZ 55 Strange drilling

satan18

This is a straight Elaz55 that came with my rather crusty
SD50.

It came from govement sources and was completely inert
and filled with red resin.

The fuse was still in situe with locking rings in place.
Once the fuse was removed it looked like a Test case
for drill bits.

They seem to be situated around the perimeter of the fuse cap
and go down the body and into the fuse.

The base of the fuse looks like it has had some sort of rubberey
material that has squeezed itself out of the base of the metal casing,
and is fully attached where the gaine used to be.

Any Ideas anybody?

Attachments

• ELAZ 55 002.jpg
    ELAZ 55 002.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 53
  • ELAZ 55 001.jpg
    ELAZ 55 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 37
  • ELAZ 55 003.jpg
    ELAZ 55 003.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ELAZ 55 005.jpg
    ELAZ 55 005.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ELAZ 55 004.jpg
    ELAZ 55 004.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 44
Nice find Phil,i like a fuze with plenty of tales to tell!

This one looks to me,as we discussed on the blower that its been drilled by a BD man or Demo School?
I wonder if the red resin or rubbery stuff is a result of drill and injection as part of immunisation process?

best

waff

Nice find Phil,i like a fuze with plenty of tales to tell!

This one looks to me,as we discussed on the blower that its been drilled by a BD man or Demo School?
I wonder if the red resin or rubbery stuff is a result of drill and injection as part of immunisation process?

best

waff
Hi Mate
The bomb casing was filled to the brim with hard red resin that i had to
chip out then melt out as it made the casing realy heavy.

The fuse itself was and still is sorta like a rubberised goo,hanging out
the base.

Best phil

Hmm,Tricky one...

Maybe the stuff injected from the holes drilled made its way into the case?
Could have been an experiment to test out new chemicals for clogging up the associated parts of the bomb?
For example,maybe the stuff was injected to get down to any possible ZuS40 or other Anti-Handling components?
Only a long shot of course!

I wonder what the old Fuzemeister has to say?

best

waff

Last edited:
Hello Waff,
i think that you are right, i also have some bombfuzes with holes, mostly for stopping the clock. Ben, but i have never seen it with so many holes

Ah nice one Ben!

I assume so many holes for a quicker injection of the substance especially if its quite thick,fast setting stuff?

cheers and best

waff

Do I see it correctly that all the holes are on the flange? There no resin can go inside the fuze mechanism?
In best case it may flow down to ZusZ40 but that's quite difficult as well because clearance between fuze body and fuze pocket is small.

The bomb case being filled would be to simulate the correct weight of a bomb

Last edited by a moderator:
The hole would be drilled so that access would be between the fuze pocket and the fuze wall , a solution would be forced into this gap to disolve any picrates , that had formed
If you notice it looks as though there is an absence of locating pin, in the fuze , so that with this removed the fuze could be reused for training purposes possibly?

Last edited by a moderator:
The hole would be drilled so that access would be between the fuze pocket and the fuze wall , a solution would be forced into this gap to disolve any picrates , that had formed
If you notice it looks as though there is an absence of locating pin, in the fuze , so that with this removed the fuze could be reused for training purposes possibly?

Thats an interesting theory steve as some of the holes in the fuse body
go into the fuse itself and some go down the side of the casing,like a cattapillar eating a leaf.

Do you think this might have been through a BD officers hands?

Best phil

Hi Phil
Its a possibility , but my theory is that it was a school training fuze , the holes that go into the fuze itself would be for immunising the charge inside the condensers .