Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fuzeman

German (17) clock keys

Picture shows the German (17) clock with its winding key inserted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuzeman

Winding Keys

Clock Winding Keys
    Left hand is an original winding key from a German Bomb disposal officer
    Middle key is a 1950,s clock winding key , made by a britrish BD squad member
    Right hand key made by myself from a Chubb Window lock

Fuzeman

Setting Key

Pictures show the setting key used for setting the time on the (17) clocks its interesting to note that the circled number is actually marked (56) but the graduations are for 0 to 72 hours

Fuzeman

Winding key

Clock and winding key

Thanks
    Hi Steve
    You're a very lucky man to have such a wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing it with us. Just to have type 17 is one thing...but to have all the extras is amazing.
    Here's a dumb question regarding the time setter.
    When the fellow who wound the fuze's clock set the clock to go off... did he just set a random time of his liking...or was there some sort of a higher up order telling him to set them for "x amount" of hours ??...depending on where they were bombing that day?
    Thanks! Charlie

Fuzeman
    Hi Charlie
    Thats a good question , which i ,ve never found the answer to , but i did read in a manual that what the set time was had to be stencilled on the bomb case.ican only gess is that somebody told the armourer what time to set the clock for, it was the same as the fuze types depending on the type of raid and the target as to which fuze would be used
    Last edited by Fuzeman; 4th January 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Hello Steve! Super of parts like I it ever gesehn does not have! Thanks which you it showed, Harry

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Thanks
    Talking of time setting, during Op Granby (Gulf War 1) as the Weapons shift Boss at a deployed unit, It was my job to set delay on bomb fuzes. I had the full range of times at my discretion and varied the bombs between aircraft so that no trends were set, no external marking on bombs to the time were shown. I am sure that a similar protocol was put in place during t WWII.

JP
    All Items of Live Ordnance posted by me have been disposed of professionally by EOD. Unless they are Archive Pictures from another Webpage

Fuzeman
    Hi JP
    Thats very interesting about the timing , i read an original manual which qouted that if 2 type (17) were deployed in the same bomb that they were to be set to the same time . of course any bombs that had the times stencilled on , by the time the bomb entered the ground , would have been destroyed
    steve

Thanks
    Thanks for the pictures Steve.

I shall see if my pal at the watchmenders can knock one up for me?

cheers

waff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast