What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.E. Bomb disposal honour badges

stabswache

Hey guys.
I was wondering if anyone could shed a better light on this subject. All the small grainy pictures in any books I've seen do not show clear enough.
From the institution of the badge (Dec 1940) thru the years. Does anyone have early examples that they would post and share here? I'd really enjoy seeing what the earliest variations are. I'm posting this pic of some I own and a few I've pulled off the net. I've numbered them..and I do know that they are not in order or which came first. The bottom two are current reproductions available. So if anyone would like to comment on this..and better yet...post pics of their badges/batttledress/etc , I'd appreciate it
Cheers! Charlie
bdbadg.jpg

Wartime British Bomb disposal badge

Original British Wartime Bomb disposal badge

Attachments

• Wartime BD badge 001.jpg
    Wartime BD badge 001.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Wartime BD badge 002.jpg
    Wartime BD badge 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Mess dress

Modern Mess dress badge

Attachments

• Wartime BD badge 003.jpg
    Wartime BD badge 003.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 20
Khaki battle dress badge

Modern Battle Dress badge

Attachments

• Wartime BD badge 004.jpg
    Wartime BD badge 004.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
RAF Bomb disposal

RAF Bomb Disposal (Modern repro) based on wartime badge

Attachments

• Wartime BD badge 005.jpg
    Wartime BD badge 005.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Steve...and Spotter.
Looking at the chart I made... I noticed I put the number "3" on two different badges. I'm assuming the Belgian EOD badge is the first one on the second row(Black fins)...right ?
O.K. WWII issue is the square badge with black bands.
We all know what the current style is. So next question...Where would that put # 1, #3(top row), and #4 in line of succession between WWII and current? If I had to guess...it would be #3 then #1 then #4 ? Any thoughts ?

Charlie

Hello! Also I found a badge: Ask from whom is that???? Greeting Harry

Attachments

• Bild 235.jpg
    Bild 235.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 11

I have still another badge found which I doubly have. I would exchange it for a badge from UK.Es am German 2 WK. Ammunition technician (eod)

Attachments

• Bild 236.jpg
    Bild 236.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 21
No. 2 in the first row, should be WW-2 by Fuzeman. But Army Council Instruction (ACI) 1562 dated 21 September 1940 introduced a cloth badge showing a representation of a bomb embroidered in gold-yellow threads with royal blue detailing on a bright red background. The whole being 3 inch deep by 2 inch wide. All WW-2 pictures I have seen of the badge on uniforms is oval or the corners are cut round.

That no. 2 badge has black bands instead of royal blue.

Hereby a "non factory" made BD badge. Yellow Bomb with dark blue bands on red background.

IMG_3517.jpg

No. 2 in the first row, should be WW-2 by Fuzeman. But Army Council Instruction (ACI) 1562 dated 21 September 1940 introduced a cloth badge showing a representation of a bomb embroidered in gold-yellow threads with royal blue detailing on a bright red background. The whole being 3 inch deep by 2 inch wide. All WW-2 pictures I have seen of the badge on uniforms is oval or the corners are cut round.

That no. 2 badge has black bands instead of royal blue.

Hereby a "non factory" made BD badge. Yellow Bomb with dark blue bands on red background.

View attachment 125770

Little mistake. It should be Army Council Instruction (ACI) 1562 dated 21 December 1940.

Is the 2nd badge in the first row not the patch made for the filmserie Danger UXB?

heres an interesting one ive had for a while and cannot ID it.i assume its air force(RAF) because the lettering and parachute are blue.probably desert/mediteranian area as the rest is tan in color.it has similarities to the RAF BD badge(the wreath is similar)
ive never heard of a bomb disposal unit that was jump qualified?

Attachments

• P1020925.JPG
    P1020925.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 19
kiwieod;279277... ive never heard of a bomb disposal unit that was jump qualified?[/QUOTE said:
421 Para EOD Unit RAOC known as PEODS was a small unit put together after an iED scare on the QE2. Personnel were drawn (on a shadow basis) from mainly Directorate of Land Service Ammunition appointments. 421 EOD was re-rolled several times and remains an active unit.